micro chip info

mint

i know from christine's previous posts that it is essential, once we get to france, to get our dog's micro chip info transferred to the french system.

however, what i want to know about is a bit nearer home.  we have a dog whom we have "adopted" as she was no longer wanted by her previous owners.  she was already micro chipped when we had her.  is it necessary for us to have the info changed in the uk before we attempt to take her with us to france?  what i mean is, is anyone going to challenge us at the passport controls as to whether she is really our dog?

any advice, christine? betty?

thanks

Yes, you do need to change your details.  Apart from anything else, if your dog gets lost, they won't be able to contact you!  Also, when you cross into France, if your dog is scanned then the chip must match (although this doesn't happen much coming in this direction) your details.  If you are still in touch with the previous owners, get the microchip documents from them and there should be a change of ownership form amongst them.  You could explain that your address will change to the French one from a specific date and therefore do both things at the same time.  Many companies let you do this on line - identichip for sure.

she is registered with petlog.  so will contact them and get it all sorted

Christine

when we move to France a couple of years ago I phoned Petlog and they said they couldn't change the info about the chips to a French address (they may have changed regs since then)  If you are told this it's very easy to get the chips registered onto the French database. We just took our dog and two cats to our French vet when we arrived, she scanned the chips and filled out a form which she sent off. It cost about 15€ each pet.  A few weeks later we received the certificates to confirm the chip numbers are now registered in France.

Bernice

Yes, and even if Petlog have changed the rules it's a good idea to have her on the French register anyway, once you're here, as things will happen more quickly if she is lost.  But in the meantime, I would still get the Petlog details changed to your present address in case there's a problem in the interim.  Belt and braces and you can't go wrong.

bernice, cooperlola & christine

thanks for the timely advice.  i was in touch with petlog yesterday and they confirmed that they will change the address details and ownership here in the uk and then will be able to change to the french system at a later date.

bearing in mind what you have all said, i will ask again about the french system and, if needs be, i will definitely take her to a french vet and get it done "properly"

christine, thanks for the link also.  couldn't be clearer.

here's to happy dog ownership!

will hold you to that!  poor old dog had to have 2 rabies jabs and 2 blood tests because the antibodies weren't enough!  awaiting the result of the second blood test so i am hoping it'll be ok this time.  thinking that probably we will take her on le shuttle because, although there will be more driving, it will mean she stays with us the whole time.

will keep you posted