rabies injections

vab

Bonjour all

It has probably been asked before so do not have a go at me. Our dog was jabbed before coming here to live  a year ago and is due again next year as every two years in UK. I know it is yearly here but will kennels here still accept the UK due date or do they insist on yearly jabs ?

Ask the kennels - ours insist yearly as that is the rule for resident dogs.  Your passport will only stay in date if you return to UK for your 2 yearly jab (bizarre I know)  If it is done in France it must be annually and not one day over.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Is it the same vaccine used in the UK ?  It seems strange when they make such a fuss about rabies and pets going in that they only do the rabies every two years, that's why I wondered if it's an identical vaccine.

[/quote]

Christine, it isn't strange.  I think I've typed this on another thread.  The vaccinations are made by the same companies, the drug companies have changed their protocol because it is not necessary to vaccinate every year, in fact most drug companies now say every 3 years.  Defra rules are that the vaccination must be given to the animal according to the vaccination manufacturer's instructions.  Personally, if you don't have to vaccinate as often I'm all for it and I'd rather follow the instructions of the people that make the vaccine rather than some bureaucrat that hasn't kept up to date and doesn't know the science.  The French authorities say every year because that is what the vaccination manufacturers used to say but the French authorities have never updated in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.   There has been an increase in auto immune diseases in cats and dogs caused by over vaccination.  Drug manufacturers have also changed their vaccination protocols for diseases such as distemper, parvo etc in the UK and US, I don't know if this is the case in France.

Our local kennels will only accept the rabies vaccine certificate for the current year (issued by the local vet' when they do the injections) - which changes colour annually, as Cerise says.  My advice would be to do as she suggests and ask the kennels what they want in advance of turning up there.  It could ruin your holiday otherwise.

[quote user="vab"]Thank you for all the advice. I will certainly ask the kennels but my little dog is now a couple of weeks over the year so a quick trip to the vet is now in order.[/quote]

That is such a pity Vab,  I think that you will probably now have to also have to have another blood test after about a month to bring his passport back to valid, essential in case an emergency causes you to have to return to UK, unless your vet could be persuaded to make a mistake on the date when he stamps the certificate.[6]

Megan, this is true if you want to travel the pet to the UK but I think the kennels may just accept the current French rabies certificate.  As the o/p's rabies jab is still in date as far as the UK authorities are concerned, she is probably OK there too.  But to get into a French kennels she needs this year's certificate.