Registering ownership of a cat in france?

Koster

Ok so I thought I had the PETS thing sussed, but a comment a friend's vet made (yeah, I know) has me concerned.  She was refering to having the pet registered as 'yours' as well as having the completed passport etc.  I purchased my cat in france, but apparently I should have been given a form to fill in.  This would as I understand it transfer ownership from the pet shop I bought it at to myself and is neccessary for my cat to travel.

Does anyone know the name of this form?  And if it is a requirement etc?  Cheers

Was this in France?  In order to qualify for the PETS passport your cat will have been microchipped, details on the chip form will be your name and address.  I don't think what you've been told is true as this would mean that if you had taken say a stray cat into your home you would never be able to travel with it.  In order to travel with your pet you have to have an up to date passport which contains all the information necessary for travel, you do not need anything else.  When we leave Calais for the UK the dogs are scanned for their microchips, their passports checked to make sure the microchip numbers match and that the necessary worming, tick treatment and general health check has been done in the correct time frame and that is all.  We've now done this for the past 4 years, 3-4 times a year.

[quote user="Lurcherleans"]

Was this in France?  In order to qualify for the PETS passport your cat will have been microchipped, [/quote]

Microchipping is NOT necessary to obtain a pets passport.  7 cats, 7 passports, no microchips and (to date) only 2 tattooed.

Microchips are however essential if you intend to take your pet to the UK.

Koster probably means the Carte d'Identification for the microchip to have the cat registered in his name.

When you bought the cat did you sign such a card as maybe the shop sent it off for you and you have not yet received a new card in your name?  How long is it since you bought the cat?

The Carte d'Identification should be signed by the previous and new owner, filled out with the new owner's name, address and telephone number and sent to be registered.  After a while the new owner receives a new card in his name.

Thanks for the replies all.  I've had the cat for about 2 years now,  I seem to recall filling in something at the shop I got him from but not recieving anything back. (I'm a bit of a hoarder for mail stuff ;) )  Is it actually a requirement to travel?  If not then I'm not overly bothered ;)

If it is does anyone know a way of getting a new card, or even who to contact?

Ok I get that, though its not a huge issue as I keep him indoors at present and he's travelling fairly soon anyway.  But does anyone know if its an actual requirement for travel?  sorry to press the point overly if I am, but its really important to me that I can take my little buddy with me ;)

Where are you travelling from/to?  As far as I know, as long as you have a passport which is made out to correct criteria for the country to which you are wishing to travel you should not need any other documentation, it should all be contained within the passport.