Looking for a breeder!!

JayJay

Thanks Nettie, it doesn't look too promising then. She's found one in the UK, but was hoping to find one nearer home, well at least in the same country.

It's odd, there are breeders over the Channel & even though they're bred for coursing, if that's illegal, a breed doesn't just die out, does it??

Coursing hares in the UK is illegal but you can still use lurchers on rabbits.  You just have to teach your dog the difference between a rabbit and a hare![8-)]

Coursing in France has been illegal since the 19th centuary, I have tried to find out why it was banned, I doubt it was anything to do with animal welfare, can only presume it was a 'sport' of the aristocracy and we know what happened to them in France!  Would love to know the real reason though.  

Lurchers are not a breed, they are a type, a sighthound crossed with a herding dog, greyhounds x collies being the most common cross.  There are pedigree lurchers available but for a dog to be a pedigree you need to know 3 generations of breeding. 

Lurchers came into being when it was decreed that only the aristocracy in England could keep pedigree hounds, a few greyhounds were 'stolen' by the 'serfs' and bred with collie types which produced a fast dog with more brains than a greyhound.  They were used to hunt for the pot.

I think the reason that lurchers aren't bred in France is that they never have been and there is no need for this type of dog here now.  Although across the border in Spain there are plenty of galgos which are a breed but very similar to the lurcher in rescue needing homes.  Galgos really get a very raw deal and deserve far better than they get from hunters in Spain.  I could go into details of horrific cruelty.  If anyone is interested just pop Galgo in Google, it won't be long before you find sites and dreadful photographs.

Well, fancy that! Thanks for taking the trouble to explain, Nettie. I've learned something from your post, and I was just idly passing through to begin with. Interesting stuff. I've read a bit about galgos before and it's shocking how some are treated, but I never knew all the stuff about lurchers.

• 1 month later...
My own first dog was a colliexgreyhound. Wouldnt mind another one day, if you hear of anyone doing this cross Id be interested in how you get on.

Another possibility is a terrier cross whippet, I would love to get in touch with a whippet bitch owner interested in crossing a good solid rough coated working terrier I own over their whippet.

I have just mated him to my other terrier so am keeping my fingers crossed. If she takes Ill post the news on here.