Saving Greyhounds...

Christine Animal

• 1 month later...

I just found this thread and wanted to agree with what fantastic pets greyhounds make, lurchers too which to my mind are very similar to the galgo/galga.  I am a trustee of a small private greyhound and lurcher charity in the UK.  I have 3 lurchers all of whom love our trips to our house in SW France.  All our dogs are rescues.  We have:

Indy who is now 13 and came from Battersea Dogs Home 8 years ago.   When I went to BDH I was looking for a border collie but found Indy cowering at the back of the kennel, he very briefly came to say hello before returning to the back of the kennel.  I couldn't leave him there.  Indy is the reason I am now involved in rescue, through him and the internet I have learnt about the plight of so many sighthounds, particularly greyhounds, lurchers and galgos.

Indy in France last summer

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/leaninglurcher/France074.jpg[/IMG]

The following year we decided we needed to add another dog to the household, there was no doubt that another lurcher was absolutely necessary!  I made a phonecall to Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue looking for a young bitch.  Before I knew it I was off down the M4 to Salisbury with Indy to meet 6 rough coated puppies.  Indy found 6 puppies rather overwhelming, he didn't mind meeting them one at a time, we left Salisbury with a 12 week old little bitch who was Rio.

Rio and Indy

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/leaninglurcher/IndyandaveryyoungRio.jpg[/IMG]

Following my involvement with Greyhound Gap I started to foster dogs for them, started with a gorgeous greyhound called Dempsey.  I then had the gorgeous Hugo who was 10 months old and I really wanted to keep, OH said no.  We then started fostering puppies, lovely little girls who we could never keep as we would most likely have had problems with Rio once the pups reached maturity, she was however a brilliant 'foster mum' particularly when it came to teaching them good manners.  Then in November 2005 Bertie arrived at 11 weeks old, within a week he was no longer a foster and was added to our growing pack.

Bertie at 12 weeks

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/leaninglurcher/Bertie/Thissofaisnotbigenough.jpg[/IMG]

Bertie and Rio

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/leaninglurcher/GruesomeTwosomecropped.jpg[/IMG]

I have now been told that I am not allowed to foster because I'm bound to want to keep another, I thought I did rather well by not being a failed fosterer until no. 8.

In November last year a peaceful march was arranged in London   It was an amazing day with great support from the general public and we had representation from Lévriers en Détresse and we were so pleased to see them in London.  Unfortunately Barbara and the volunteers from EDL were not able to attend because they were busy saving galgos.  There are photos of the day www.marchforgreyhounds.co.uk There is hope that this will become an annual event held at various major cities in the UK until the Government takes serious the need for much better welfare for greyhounds, both for the 10,000+ that retire every year and those who never actually make it to the track.  We hope to see our French friends at future events.

They are gorgeous Lucherleans! Well done for all your efforts.

I assume that is you in the first photo or is that the OH you referred to.[:)]

I wasn't aware of some atrocities against greyhounds until I saw this thread, it is heartbreaking to think that anyone could do such things to such gentle animals. [:'(]

The moderators have deleted several posts from this thread because they referred to some text which is no longer there

If you have any concerns about this post please do not post them in the forum (they will be deleted without warning) but simply use the report button attached to THIS post.

The moderators would also like to remind members that should you object to a posts content then you should use the ‘Report’ button to bring it to the moderators attention.

I'm so pleased to hear that too Moonraker, I'm sure you will have a wonderful new companion.  We had a Podenco who died a couple of months ago from old age.  He was a very quiet and discreet dog, no trouble whatsoever.  Yes, please give us news, that's made my day.

Lurcherleans your dogs are lovely and Indy is absolutely superb, such grace.

Thanks Christine, Indy is actually a first cross greyhound x saluki.  We always joke that he looks at you as if to say 'did you wash your hands before you touched me'.  The other two just look like the hooligans they are.

Moonraker, congratulations on your new edition.  I just love the ears on a podenco, look forward to pictures. 

Was at Crufts on hound day this year and everytime I saw another sighthound I wanted one so I think my 'wanted list' now consists of an Irish Wolfhound, Deerhound, Borzoi, Saluki, Pondenco, Galgo, Azawakh (so regal), Greyhound not forgetting lurchers of course.  I just love sighthounds.

At the moment my Podenco is asleep on a vet-bed next to me. He gets on fine with my two Yorkies and ignores the cats. Unfortunately his ears are a bit floppy, his brother's were fine but he is the one I chose so we'll make do! I live 8kms from Tabanac so had no problems popping over there to look at them last Saturday. Passion Lévriers uses that refuge for the dogs that haven't been adopted and I was lucky to find a small size dog just when I was making enquiries. Boy, has that place grown....I took 50kgs of dried food there 20 years ago and there were about six runs at that time; must be at least 50 or 60 now.

I'll get some photos at the weekend and post them.

I have a Podenco/Husky cross, Frankie - abandoned in Portugal, adopted in France! Looks like a medium sized Podenco, but with blue eyes!He is the coolest dog ever....the children refer to him as Grand Master Frankie due to his aloofness and all-knowing expression! They had a couple of the small ones on the on of the Crufts programmes last week - lovely dogs!

Chris

• 6 months later...

This is my Portuguese Podenco; never had a problem with him in the 6 months he's been here except that the cats have to finish their food too quickly for their liking!!!

[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/moonraker1_photos/PICT0030.jpg[/IMG]

Favourite spot

[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/moonraker1_photos/Cashew2.jpg[/IMG]

I'm afraid that this has nothing to do with saving spanish greyhounds in France, but it does have to do with an already saved lurcher in England.  We have said lurcher, who was one of thirteen pups borne to an abandoned bitch in early 2005.  We are planning to move to the Bergerac area in Summer 08 with both our dogs(the other is a lab).  My question is : is it possible to purchase greyhound specific food in France because as I am sure any greyhound owner will know their fast metabolisms require a special diet to avoid extreme wind problems.  Well our one does anyway !! Any suggestions gratefully received. By the way the pictures of the Portuguese Podenco are beautiful.