Dog in kennels

londoneye

Hi everyone, looking for a little shared experience if possible here.

We went away for a few days and put our dog/cat in kennels.   Cat sulked as normal but was basically fine.   The dog was/is a mess still.   First time in kennels, when we went to pick her up she was cowering and shaking like a leaf.   I don't think, in truth, she had spent the whole time doing this, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was very distressing.  I should say immediately that it was absolutely nothing to do with the kennels, they were nice, the woman was nice, she had noted lots of things about the dog, by which I knew she had spent time with her, she was also honest (a bonus) and didn't try to lead us to believe that the dog had had the best time of her life.   Apparently she was frightened when the other dogs barked at her - she is frightend of most things to start with.

It broke my heart seeing her like that.   Since she has been back she is weeing indoors again, which she hasn't done since she was three months old, and won't go outside without us, although she did venture out today (day 3 back) for a few minutes on her own.

Inevitably, as she is a very young dog, this is not going to be the last time she has to go to kennels, and I wondered if anyone else had similar experience and what their dog was like at the second time in kennels, because its really worrying us to be honest.   We were only away for a few days, and I dread to think what she would be like if we went for a fortnight.

Upset me just hearing your story. Any chance of you getting someone to stay at your house with your pets when you next go away?

Believe me, I commiserate from the heart.  We took separate holidays for years when we had 2 cats and, when they died, swore we'd have no more animals.  Then, we got landed with a dog and, as she is only 4, I can see years of separate holidays ahead.

The OH would be worse than the dog if we left her and, at the moment, the status quo is here to stay. 

It's just a suggestion but it might be relatively easy for you to find family or friend who might like a free holiday in France with your animals while you go for your own break.  The only problem is if you have to go away unexpectedly, of course.

Good luck in finding a solution.

One thought you might try. You said the kennel

person was nice and appreciated the dog was not as happy as it might

have been. Also you say the dog will need to go into kennels in the

future.

Maybe (with help from the kennel owner) put her in

the kennel for an hour of two. Maybe wait outside (in view) the

first time (occasionally popping out of sight then returning, maybe

feeding her in the kennel). after she can cope with that, maybe

build-up to an afternoon, a day, an overnight (last thing at night to

1st thing next morning, etc.) Thus hopefully she will learn that

nothing nasty happens and that you do come back and would become a

bit calmer.

A couple of things that can make any dog's life in

kennels a bit easier is to take in their blanket/bed/etc. which will

smell of them/your house. Also, depending on what you feed your dog

if it is possible to get the kennel to feed her the same. When mine

used to have less usual dog food I would always take each of their

meals measured out, etc. to the kennel with them - so they did not

have to cope with strange food as well. Clearly not practical is she

is fed fresh food.

I suppose there are two possibilities. That she

is frightened by the other dogs, noise, etc. and/or she is unhappy

and scared being away from you. In the latter case this probably

does need addressing as there might be a risk of is developing into

separation anxiety (which would be quite a problem). Probably

depends on how long she is left alone and how she copes with that.

Another worthwhile thing might be to join a large

dog training club (which can be difficult and a separate issue).

That might help her get more comfortable being around other dogs

(benefit for kennels and life in general).

One of mine knaws the cage when in kennels (you

can tell from minor sore on each side of his mouth and top of his

nose). Other youngster has not yet been in kennels and it scares me

as she is very very attached to me.

Just a thought

Ian

Hi Londoneye, I agree with everything Ian has mentioned but I must say I have been through a similar experience in the past. I also agree with Sweet17 and this is something we are trying to do with our only little dog now. [:(] I certainly don't want to discredit the kennels without any evidence but I found from experience some things are not always as they appear from the outside and your biggest indication of this is your dogs response. It may not be the case but perhaps something worth looking into.

In the UK the first few times I left our dog in a local recommended kennels he returned exactly as you described. After investigating I found that they actually didn't walk him at all and in fact the second and last time I took him there when I went to pick him up they were all in a bother trying to bath and clean him. I could see what they were doing by walking in an area I wasn't really allowed in.

I then went about trying to find another and was shocked at some things I saw, I should mention that all were in very nice areas. One I popped in to see and it was late in the afternoon and the owner was busy with another customer at the front desk. They had just locked up all of the kennels for the night. A young girl took me inside the kennels where dogs obviously had been left lying in there own excrement, most appeared very very lethargic. She explained to me that most were long timers. She looked at me with some embarrassment and told me that they would always wash my dog before I picked him up. I asked her if they walked the dogs and she said that they tried to but it was difficult for them to walk them most days.

When I returned to the front desk with the young girl, the man was very agitated and asked the girl what area she had taken me to and became obviously upset. He said that they always only show the kennels with a prior appointment to view. I asked him about the conditions and he said he couldn't understand it because he was told they were cleaned.

After this experience, I visited a few others I felt very uncomfortable about, even though the owners appeared quite friendly.

I am sorry to have rambled on but this is something I felt very guilty about subjecting my young dog to and my dog like yours was also a big softy and was very sensitive. In the end, I found a kennel I was confident with and knew they did what they said for one because the few times I visited I always saw two young people as well as the owners out walking the dogs and they were always very open.

However, the biggest test for me was even though he wasn't happy about being separated from us, he always wagged his tail at the owners of the kennels every time we took him. I then got another small dog and both of my dogs would always come back happy and healthy.

Even though the owner of the kennels you use may appear to be a nice lady and you have no proof. Before next time do some investigation and the biggest test of all is your dogs reaction when you take him in and of course his actions now after spending some time there are perhaps speaking volumes.[:(]

Hi Londoneye - have you considered acclimatising your youngster to an indoor kennel - if you place a blanket over the kennel it gives the dog a 'safe' place to go when he chooses to, (without shutting the door).  If he finds it a comfort, you could take the kennel plus bedding(minus the door) when you next have to take him into kennels and it may just take away some of the perceived threat from the other dogs. Don't forget to give him 'rescue remedy' before kennels and after he comes home. A kennel would be very unusual if they could afford to pay someone the minimum wage to walk any of the dogs - if the dogs are lucky they might get put into a compound while (if) they clean out - an acquaintance of mine said that many kennels tell owners the dogs get  walked every day but he said its not true - very untrue!

Thanks all.    I still do believe the kennels is OK, as it was recommended.    It would be unfair of me to even think otherwise without any proof, and there was no evidence that the dog had been washed or anything similar.   You could easily see into the kennels and they were clean.  It wasn't a situation where the dog/cat were taken away from you at the door and then hussled out the back, so I really cannot find anything to blame the kennels for here.

Plus in truth my dog (female) is the biggest softie ever.   When she was little(r) she used to shake until her teeth crunched together even if we left to go shopping.   We continued to leave her to do normal things, eg go out (!) and she did eventually seem to get over it.    The nearest I could describe her when we got her in the car was 'in shock'.   It tooks hours for her to even look at us and it is only today that her tail has come back out from between her legs, so I know she is feeling better !   She had something of mine in the kennels and also all of her own food, so we did try to minimise any anxiety.

I think our first choice next time would be to look into having someone come over and stay here.     If it were only for a few days our neighbour has offered to look after her anyway, but we felt it was too much of a burden because he works; next time I might just have to take him up on it..   Thankfully next year's holiday looks like it will be a trip to my friend's holiday home in the south of France, so we could take her with us, so can put off the inevitable for a while longer.

I will think on some of the other suggestions which people have made.   Thanks again all.

Rescue Remedy is a calming liquid that you place in the drinking bowl- most on-line ( and probably off line too) suppliers stock it.

Have you considered sticking to UK and French holidays so that you can take your dog with? We used to have a fantastic dog sitter, the wonderful Sheila, who would come and look after our dogs while we travelled the world, but last year we got a GSD puppy, who has fast become a v..e..r..y..b..i..g..d..o..g!!

We now holiday in the UK, and France,and are now buying a holiday home in Northern France, so that we can have holidays and take our 3 dogs with.

We had the same problem in the UK so we used pet-sitters, it really didn't cost that much more than putting them both in kennels and there was none of the stress, in fact it was lovely knowing that our dogs were enjoying their holiday as much as we were.

In France depending on which area you live there are very good pet-sitters to be found, just ask around and I'm sure you will find someone trustworthy, just make sure they can give you references.

Just a quick note to say thank you all for your concern, and to those who pm'd me.

She (female dog) is back to her old self - the mop has been put away, and she is going on her walk again and generally being a pain as normal.   There is a lot of experience on this site ref animals, and many people did hit the nail on the head regarding the type of animal she is - she is a real pack dog, and frankly a 'wuss'.  

I really appreciate your replies.