Battered cat!

TWINKLE

I've had enough! 

As some of you know I have 5 beautiful cats - 4 sterilised females and a young ginger tom cat.  Each time I have had a male cat something awful happens to them - 3 in the last 8 years. 

This morning my male cat came for his food with the others and his face looked terrible.  On closer inspection I could see that his eye and nose was damaged and his bottom 'fang' was hanging out of his mouth.  This has obviously been caused by a blow to the head either with a stick or a foot,  or more likely  the butt of a hunters shotgun! 

He is such a loving and friendly cat and I can only imagine that he went to 'say hello' to a hunter walking in the fields at the bottom of our garden.  There's nothing you can do about it I know but it's so upsetting - it's just part of rural life I suppose.  My daughter is in tears!

Or a glancing blow by a car. If it was a hunter, be thankful the encounter wasn't with the business end of a shotgun. My cats don't get to go out at weekends - I just don't want to risk them being shot. Hope your ginger boy recovers well - did the vet have to remove the tooth?

I presume it's a hunter.

Having lived here for 18 years and watched the pattern of things.  I've had about 20 cats since I've lived here.  It's ALWAYS the males who get killed - WHY?

I gave him some asperine earlier this evening and tried to clean his muddy boot wounds with cotton and 'eau oxygene' we'll see how he is in a day or two.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I presume it's a hunter.

Having lived here for 18 years and watched the pattern of things.  I've had about 20 cats since I've lived here.  It's ALWAYS the males who get killed - WHY?

I gave him some asperine earlier this evening and tried to clean his muddy boot wounds with cotton and 'eau oxygene' we'll see how he is in a day or two.

[/quote]

But...but Twinks,  when the hunters shoot, are they making a distiction between a male and a female? How do they do that?

I don't understand.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I gave him some asperine earlier this evening...[/quote]

Do you mean aspirin / aspirine as a painkiller? Be very careful. Aspirin isn't tolerated well by cats. I believe it breaks down very slowly and it's easy to overdose and cause organ damage. I have no veterinary qualifications but I would definitely avoid aspirin for treating a cat.

Tressy: I think it's not that hunters are differentiating between male and female cats - more that boys tend to be more adventurous than girls - even neutered males will have a territory - so there are greater opportunities for them to encounter problems. One of our boys has a route that takes him way over the hill down towards the next village. He's probably getting on for a km away. As he's big and a sort of apricot colour, he's very recognisable and we get reports from people telling us they've seen him in the middle of this field or alongside that road... sooner or later he'll get into trouble. [:(]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I gave him some asperine earlier this evening...[/quote]

Do you mean aspirin / aspirine as a painkiller? Be very careful. Aspirin isn't tolerated well by cats. I believe it breaks down very slowly and it's easy to overdose and cause organ damage. I have no veterinary qualifications but I would definitely avoid aspirin for treating a cat.

Tressy: boys tend to be more adventurous than girls - even neutered males will have a territory. One of our boys has a route that takes him way over the hill down towards the next village. He's probably getting on for a km away. As he's big and a sort of apricot colour, he's very recognisable and we get reports from people telling us they've seen him in the middle of this field or alongside that road... sooner or later he'll get into trouble. [:(]

Hi Twinkle

Hope it is not a human who has done this but perhaps a run in with another animal.  HOWEVER if it was a human - would LOVE to meet him/her on a dark night - see how they like it!!

My 4 are presently curled up asleep (as I am soon to be) free from danger.

Hope your "little tom" is well soon.

Yes Tres - like Catalpa says it's the fact that they are more adventerous that they get into trouble like this.  My female cats are much more weary of strangers too. 

I'm sorry if some of you think I'm pointing the finger at hunters - but this does happen a lot around here.  I told some of my French friends what happened and it's the first thing they said " Oh - that's a hunter who did that!"

I won't give him anymore aspirine (thanks for the tip) and he's staying in for a few days - poor thing.

He's much better today and is outside taking some rays! 

BTW - it wasn't aspirine that I gave him but paracetemol.  He must have been in such pain and I was told that this is okay for cats - only gave him a couple of doses anyway and I worked it out for his weight.

Great link Frenchie[:)]

[quote user="Frenchie2"]

Oh come on, Twinkle did what she thought was right.. !

[/quote]

Yes, she did.

[quote user="Frenchie2"]

I understand she didn't want the poor little thing to be in pain !!

[/quote]

Of course.

[quote user="Frenchie2"]

So what if no aspirin and no paracetamol? [/quote]

If the animal appears to be in pain, speak to or go to a vet.

[quote user="Frenchie2"]

When you re not a vet, you do what you think is right.......................

[/quote]

No, you don't. You don't guess. You ask a vet. [blink]Most vets will advise over the phone, both in and out of hours.

What you think is right may damage the animal. Neither Will nor I criticised Twinks... but we did alert her and anyone else reading this thread that treating cats with medicines developed for use in man is not straightforward.

Oh dear! 

He's okay though and I gave him 2 doses.  This is somthing I'd never have done before for the same reason that you don't give adult medicine to children. However, the friend that told this was okay assured me she had been advised by a vet in the past.   Oh well I'll know next time - thanks Will.

Don't worry Frenchie I didn't take Wills remarks badly - I'm Welsh[;-)]

To-day the schools are on strike and my daughter is out in the garden playing with Carrot our ginger tom.  There's a huge 'vent d'autan' blowing and they are playing and with all the leaves flying everywhere.  Now that the mud has been cleaned away his face looks fine - yes he's lost a tooth - but do you really think that the vet will be able to replace it? 

He's eating for 4 as usual and hopefully he'll keep away from the fields now but I really don't believe that's going to happen.  Let's just say he's used up one of his 9 lives[:(]

Thank you for your comments all you cat and Twinkle lovers[:)]