Nail clippers

Val_2

I've just got an email from the states advertising an animal nail clipper suitable for both cats and dogs. It looks quite effective as it is a revolving emery board inside a hand held unit about ten inches long and therefore does not actually cut but grinds down safely as the claw can only go into the unit a certain depth. Its not sold outside the USA by this firm but has anyone seen anything like it in France as it would certainly save having to go to the vets for claw cuttings which in my opinion only makes them grow quicker the next time and thicker.

• 3 weeks later...

We have an 11 year old Basset and whose heart is let us say a 'bit tired'  Ever since a young pup he will not allow anyone to cut his nails and when in the UK the vets had to sit on him and which was stressful.  Then here in France and every four months or so he has to go to the vet have a tranquiliser and then his nails cut.

We are now taking huge risks with his heart and I have had a look at the product and it is called Pedipaws.  Will try to find out if this product is available elsewhere.

rdgs

Yes it is PediPaws that I am asking about as I keep getting e.mails but its not available outside the USA. Have spent hours this week googling outlets in France and UK for anything to do with this products and nothing except e.b ay offering it but I have no idea how e.bay works so have not looked. I sent the advertising people for Pedipaws a mail asking for outlets in europe but no reply. Its a shame because my Shiba has long strong front nails that need their first clip and I don't think he will keep still and this was ideal.  A dremel tool seems a bit extreme although a good idea.

We bought some a while back, over 15 years ago - in the UK, probably from a pet shop in Oxon/Wilts.   They worked really well on two giddy boxers, who are now in Boxer Heaven.

Can't help with the make as I loaned them out and never saw them again!  

They are still be available - some here from £2.59 and also still in pet shops I presume.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/nail_paw?gclid=CL-fz5X26ZUCFRSO1Qod0khFfA

Regards

Tegwini

I've had two dogs (strangely enough both boxers, bless 'em) and I must admit I never once needed to even think about clipping their nails.  I'm pretty sure they would have tolerated it had I needed to as they were both fascinated by every facet of every day but I'm not sure what are the circumstances that the nails need clipping.  Was it because mine were always walked on pavements etc?

Yes Graye,

It probably was.   Ours  really only needed nail clipping when old & wonky, (and as small puppies) but still a bit giddy, they weren't out and running around as much as when younger.  One lived to 14 before cancer set in. 

They didn't mind their nails being clipped, but would have been very unlikely to sit still long enough even when old to have them filed by a little machine.    They liked to chew up stuff like that - even when old.   Sounds like an American invention, like designer clothing for dogs. Such stuff on a boxer would have survived for minutes. 

Still missing them ten years later. 

Regards

Tegwini

Had a look at that site but they are just ordinary nail clippers not the rotating abrasive type of machine the Pedipaws is. I could not cut with clippers as my sight is not what it was and the dog would never keep still. Oh well I will keep looking for the Pedipaws if it comes to europe as the cats can also be trimmed with it as well and they are extremely hard to catch and keep still for very long.