Pet passpoer retained?

Alanmcd

Hi  im looking for some help our beagle bitch who is a seasoned traveller has a pet passprt which is full  my wife  took it and her to our vet and was issued with a new one, but they kept the old one saying "it has to go back to DEFRA"

has any one experienced this as when we were returning on our last trip we were stopped by an animal health inspector who told us when we got a new one to keep the old one to prevent any problems.

we are travelling tonight  so have all my fingers  crossed

alan mac

Hi. When my cat's passport was down to its last entry, the people at the Tunnel check-in advised me to bring the old one with me the first couple of times I used the new one. My vet was fine with this - gave it straight back to me once she had copied the data over.

Having said that, I have now used the new one twice and not been asked to show the old one, so I am sure you will be fine.

Why on earth would Defra need the old passport? Even with human passports you get to the old one back with its corner snipped off!

Good luck

Fay

When our dog's passport was full we asked the vet for a new one and also for us to retain the old one. He said that DEFRA prefer to have the old one but he was allowed to cut the corner off and let us keep it. We now have the new passport in operation. We keep the old one (without the corner) in reserve in case it is useful to prove or confirm any facts that any existing or new regulations might require.

Alistair

My vet didn't even do the corner snip.

The silly thing is, they are not like 'human' passports which could be re-used by unscrupulous types, since once the thing is full, it's full!

I have read through the Defra info and there is nothing on their website to say the old passport must be surrendered. I may give them a call!

I just spoke to a very helpful Defra chap who said that they DO NOT need the old passport back, but that 'some vets prefer to send them'. But he said you should not have any problem so long as all the info was filled in correctly. However, he also said to keep your vet's number handy in case any confirmation was needed (which will serve your vet right if you are crossing at an ungodly hour of the night!)