Crucial timing returning to UK

Llantony

We hope to take our dog and cat when we visit the UK later this year.  I've just realised there is only a 24 hour period when this can be done as it has to be not less than 24hrs and not more than 48hr safter flea & tick treatment.  This poses a problem as when travelling with the trailer we stop for the night about half way through France, and the 2nd night at Calais so more than 48 hours before arriving in the UK.  This is so we are handy for the Channel crossing first thing in the morning, no rushing to get the train/boat after a long journey through France and fresh for the challenge of M25 & M1.

Our vet said we should find a vet near Calais, but then we'd have to spend another 24 hours there! 

How do other people cope with this?

Look in Pages Jaunes - find a vet near where you are making first night stop and get it done there.  Or, talk to your vet and ask them if they'll date it for the next day.  I didn't say this last thing as, strictly speaking, of course no vet would do such a thing.  There are how ever those who do - allegedly[6]

• 2 weeks later...

Or why not arrive at Calais, make the crossing and then stay overnight in the UK?

We always use the shuttle with our dog - plus points are she is not left on the car deck of a pitching ferry with various alarms going off scaring the life out of her, plus the French and UK terminals are at one of the motorway turnoffs - you do not have to trundle right in to either Calais or Dover to get to a crowded ferry terminal.

Paul

Yes, we will use the Tunnel as we have a very nervous little rescued dog and she panics and barks non-stop when left in the car; apart that I'd hate leave her on the car-deck.

We had thought of getting B & B near Dover, but the French chain ones are very cheap and have no problem with dogs and cats whereas UK places don't usually allow pets.  Have you found a good one?  The other reason we stop at Calais is then we don't find ourselves either rushing to catch the crossing or arriving far too early and having a long wait or paying more.

Llantony, there is an Ibis hotel in Abbeville.  You can take your dog both to your bedroom AND the restaurant.

Have a Google and, if you don't find it, send me a PM and I will root out the info for you.

• 3 weeks later...
sorry P2 - I just don't get this. You can't cross the channel until the 24hrs are up- as you have to go and get all the documents, chip, etc, checked in the port. We once arrived 5 mintes early and they asked us to wait. We used to stay at the Kyriad plage hotel which is dog friendly = ask for a room on ground floor at the back - so you can park your car just by your room and here is a field to exercise the dog/s (WE PICK UP - BUT SADLY NOT ALL DO). The vet is just around the corner Dr Petrie.

Lately we have avoided this by getting the dog to our local vet late pm - then got up at 4 and done the Calais journey in one go - then stopped for the night in Calais and left early.