barking

valB

Why has our Labrador decided to bark most of the night ? He started last week and we have only had one night where he slept right through and OH has to get up and walk him around the garden in case he needs to do his business but Murphy just has a nice little walk around several times during the night. We close the shutters so that he is not disturbed by Rabbits or Cats so that is not the problem but we are two very tired people.  Any suggestions welcome before we give him sleeping tablets   LOL.

Perhaps he is feeling anxious about something.  Just a suggestion, what about an indoor kennel/cage.  Our dog loves her cage and goes in and out of it all day when we are in and is shut in at night and when we go out.  It is her own safe space.  We started by putting treats in it, to get her in and never use it as a punishment.  When it was first suggested to us to use a cage we thought it would be cruel but honestly the dogs love them.

Suey

I had not thought of that. He has his cumfy bed that he loves and has slept there for over three years now BUT it has all started since he went missing a few weeks ago and OH found him totally snagged up in a hedge and he could not move. So, yes, maybe he is still feeling stressed. Thank you for the advice.

Is he looking stiff or uncomfortable in any way since you retrieved him from the hedge? It's possible he pulled a muscle or something trying to get free himself and lying down for a long period at night is uncomfortable. On the other hand, he has perhaps decided that bark = company and a little walk to break up the boredom of the night and he's started to train you to provide it.

Difficult one, but if he otherwise seems fine, I'd grit my teeth and start to ignore the night time barking.

I did wonder if he is just playing us up the same as a toddler would. He does not seem to be in any discomfort at all and apart from being filthy dirty did not seem have suffered from his escapade with the hedge a few weeks ago. It is very hard to try to ignore him as he goes on and on and OH has told him off quite strongly but then once we are just nodding off he starts again.  I am praying he will settle tonight as we are not used to broken nights sleep as it has been hundreds of years since the kids woke us up and we  are ancient and need our kip. [:)]

It's more than likely stress related as it's too much of a coincidence that it has only started since his episode in the hedge.  I asked a friend of mine who is a vet and she said the same.  Whatever you do don't shout at him as he's probably trying to get your attention out of need for security - getting you up for a walk round the garden etc.  Move his bed closer to you for the night and try giving him some Bach's Flower Rescue Remedy half an hour before bed to soothe him before he starts to get anxious (even though he may not seem to be visibly worried) - it's harmless and safe to give on a long term basis.  Patience and do what we all did when the kids had us up all night, get some napping in during the day.  I hope he gets over it as it won't be doing him any good either.

Does he seem distressed when you go to him during the night? Or is he just normally pleased to see you as he would be in the morning or when you return from a trip out?

Anyway, another way of tackling stress-related problems in dogs is this - DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) diffuser. Apparently they work. We were considering getting one for a dog we adopted which had separation anxiety but happily, we solved the separation anxiety and didn't get around to buying the DAP diffuser.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

HE SLEPT LAST NIGHT ...Phew.  I tried changing his feeding times so not sure if that was the problem or not so time will tell. No, he is not aggitated when we see to him during the night, quite pleased to see us in fact. Maybe eating later was upsetting him, we will see tonight. Thank you for all your advice and I am sure we will get to the bottom of it in time.