Do Hornets survive winter?

ClaraQ

Hi

We have a hornets nest in the Chimney of our gite which is now closed up for the winter.  Is it worth getting the pompiers out to remove it or will the cold kill them off over the next few months?

Do they return to the same site year after year?

Thanks

Clara

I was told a while ago in the UK by a council pest control officer that there was no need to destroy a wasp's nest in our loft as it was almost Winter and, unlike bees, they would not return to the same nest again the following year. I suppose the same argument must apply to hornets as they are after all an overgrown version of a normal wasp.

Of course, I am only passing on what I was told and I'm sure someone will come along soon with some more information.

Linda

Our neighbours had a hornets nest in their chimney. They didn't realise quite what an infestation it was because the hornets all came and hung around in our trees. Watching these monsters flying around we could follow them to their nest.

When we pointed out to our neighbours that they had a nest they replied "Ah, that explains why we saw hornets around last summer."

This was only about 2 weeks ago. The pompiers came & destroyed the nest.

So I got the impression this was the same nest of hornets from the previous year.

Apparantly when these brutes sting you, you stay stung! A friend was zapped and was in agony for a few hours. Our neighbours all say if you get 2 or 3 stings from a frelon its off to hospital with you.

The good news, they are not very aggressive and are most satisfyingly swatted mid-air with a badmongton racket!

Stew

Clara,

Bad news I'm afraid they come back and back and back.

I don't know the lifespan of them so don't know if it's the same one's but they certainly like our chimney: we've had them in the same spot for 5 years regardless of the nest being destroyed each year. Now we know to expect them the first sign of any in summer we zap them with the stuff from the brico's. They soon get the message but if anyone knows how to put them off a spot permanently I'd appreciate it!

As to whether to get rid of the nest now I'm afraid I don't know, but there are still a few hornets buzzing about and logically some survive to create the next generation to bug us! Is there currently any activity? It might be worth killing the nest if you see some.

Good luck!

Karen

There is a "frelon" (hornet) thread under the gardening section on this site. Worth a look. Most people recommend getting the pompiers out or using a "6 metre spray". Badminton racket also works, but only one at a time!

From what I've read about hornets (unless you get stung) they are quite harmless as long as you stay at least 2-3 metres from their nest site. If you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.

Having said that, I really don't want to share my house with them, so I will be calling the pompiers soon.

I guess this time of year they are quite dozy so easy to sneak up on, but don't take any chances.

Suninfrance

Interested as we too have a large nest in our barn which is well out of reach.  We approached our local Maire only to be told that the pompiers no longer provide an extermination service.  Also, suggested that we might expect to be charged around Euro120 for the work. I had been told (reliably) from another source that we should expect all the hornets to die in the winter, except the queen who will go in to hibernation somewhere other than in the nest.  The queen then finds a new site in the following year; the same source said that they seldom return to the same nest.  Although I have not experienced a hornets sting (thankfully), my informed source tells me that they are no worse than that of a wasp.  However, I note the experience others have had.  One bit of information consistent with what others have said, which is that they are much less aggressive than wasps and you are unlikely to be stung unless you threaten the nest.  They have not bothered us so I am going to wait to see what happens.  However, I don't fancy having them around next year.  Would be most interested to hear the experience of others on this topic.

I organised the removal of a nest for a non-french speaking person I know here in 17.  The Pompiers do not remove the nest here and they gave me a telephone number of a guy who removes them - 90 Euros later they were gone!

We have 2 nests here which will probably need removal for the sake of guests.  We had some very friendly hornets this summer - they kept landing on the childrens' head.  I was in a bit of a panic and looked into how dangerous they actually are!   The do give an unpleasent sting, but are not as aggressive as wasps, they only attack if you start attacking them and once they sting this sends out a signal to other hornets and then they potentially swarm, this is where the danger would be.

We had some french guests this summer who were absolutely terrified, grown adults they were too.  They were convinced that 2/3 stings and they would be a gonner - this is an old wives tale btw.

The Frelon man tells me they do keep the same nest too.

Hope this helps.
Deby

My youngest brother was stung by a horent when he was 6 months old on the end of his todger. It swelled to the size of an apple!. We were camping in France at the time and my parents rushed him to a doctors surgery that had a lot of people waiting to see the doctor. My little brother was screaming so loud the medics ran to him and declared "OOH Alors" and treated him straight away. It took 3 days for the swelling to go down. Now that he is grown up we think this gave him super human size as he has been very popular with the ladies.