Dog kennels in Languedoc

lynn in France

We have bought a house near Clermont L'Herault and are looking for a good kennels for our dog. We got him from Edinburgh Cat & Dog Home after he had been abandoned, so being left is a big problem for him. So far never left him so it has to be a really sympathetic place with kind owners. He is a medium/large spotted dog of unknown origins! Vert sweet tempered but hates being left anywhere.

Our first grandchildren (twins) will be born in October so we will be returning to Glasgow a couple of times a year to see them.

Many thanks everyone for reading this.

Lynn

Can't give you a recommendation, but never use anywhere where they won't let you in to see the facilities without notice.

We have had several rescue dogs and they have had to learn to go into kennels now and then.  We ALWAYS start as early as possible, i.e. when they are comfortable with us, by putting them in for an afternoon, then overnight, then a weekend etc etc.  That way, they know we are coming back for them.  We have had no problems this way, although it does cost a bit.  We profit from the short stays by making a point of going out for a long day trip or whatever. 

Of course, if your dog is really reluctant to go back on the 2nd or 3rd occasion, you'd better think about changing kennels.

Chrissie (81)

• 4 weeks later...
I would recommend Elevage De La Rosee Du Soleil in Pezenes-de-mines (not to be confused with Pezenas, this one is located near Bedarieux).  They are recommended by the vet near Netto in Clermont L'Herault and I have used them on numerous occasions over the last few years and my dog love them.  It is spacious individual runs with a kennel in each for shelter.  I think it is 11-12 Euros a night.  They are tough to find first time, but head for Levas and not Pezenes-de-mines and you should be fine.  The man also speaks good English too.  PM me if you want the number or call into the nets near Netto and they should have a leaflet.

Interesting to see they are recommended by you, Sharkster, and also by the vet. Friends have also used them for their dogs in the past and thought they were OK - there have been times when I was close to putting the cat there when there was no other solution, but it never quite got to that, so I still don't know firsthand. Just as well, as I think it is more difficult for some cats to be somewhere strange, than it is for dogs, but should the need arise, I will feel more confident now.

BTW it is Pézènes-les-Mines (it might matter if looking for it on the map)

Thanks for the correction.  When I first went, I followed directions to pezenes-les-mines but it is actually the wrong way to go!  Although it is their address, they are actually located just outside Levas (a small village off the main road from Clermont to Bedarieux) which goes past Moureze and such.  The couple who run it are very friendly and all the dogs always seem very happy to be there.  One point though is to note their opening hours which are somewhat limited (a couple of hours in the morning and the same again in the afternoon).  They are also closed on Sundays, so you cannot pick up your dog (or cat) until Monday.

I can recommend some excellent pet sitters (very reasonable rates by the way) and whilst they are always pretty much booked, they are here in France and have some other very good contacts.  It's often a better solution as the dogs is so much happier in his own surroundings and without all the other dogs barking etc.  Also you have the added benefit that your home is also looked after and these people come with the highest integrity and experience with a lot of animals but particularly dogs as they love them very much.  Please pm me for their rates and more details if you think it would be interested.  I know them personally so have no problem at all recommending them.