Vet for pet passport

katre60

Looking for an English speaking vet in the southern tip of Deux-Sevres (79), as need my dogs pet passport sorting after 4 week stay in France.  Our house is in a hamlet but the nearest towns are Couture d'Argenson, Villemain & Chef Boutonne - willing to travel further afield if need be.  Does anyone know of a good vet with experience of pet passports?  Thank you.

Hi Katre60,

In my experience most french vets have experience of the pet passport scheme so language is not really a barrier. You just need to double check the dates etc to make sure its been filled in for the correct visit !!!

Is it just the Tic & Flea treatment you need doing or the "full monty" ?

Good Luck Mel.

I'll have to disagree there as my friend earlier this year had problems with a french vet who knew next to nothing of the pet passport scheme.

Friend called me, I told them to get all the details from the DEFRA website and take all the info to the  vets with her. Fortunately she had gone to discuss this with the vet before her trip. The vet was very nervous about it all, but did what they had to do never the less and then at the port everything went well.

Hi Katre60,

Just to be on the safe side, maybe in light of idun's post it would be better to get a recommendation then, hope you can find someone on the forum to pass on some details to you for the local area you live.

Good luck with it all

Kind Regards Mel.

And yes, there are some very good vets in France.

Not near you, but the one we use does not just go through the motions but gives our dog a thorough examination (30 minute appointment in France, 10 minutes in UK!).

It was thanks to him that we found out she has a heart problem and could get it sorted with tablets.

Do make sure they fill in the 3 sections - 2 for the treatments and one to say that they are fit to travel - although it does strike me as a little silly the 'fit to travel' part - we drive 660 miles up through France to the Shuttle and then 70 miles the other side.

Was in the Pet Reception at Coquelles earlier this year when someone had arrived after the max 48 hours since treatment. Her yelling etc did nothing. She was told she would have to visit a local vet and come back within 24 and 48 hours of that. So do observe the time limits

There are good vets everywhere and bad ones. Mine is a good one in the UK, we just have the cat  now and she spends a long time doing a thorough MOT when he goes for his jabs, no different to the good MOT our dog and cat had in France.

The trouble in rural France for my friend was that the vet had never encountered anyone needing to travel to the UK and not only was unsure, but made their mind up as to the best course of action, which was wrong. They were fine when they saw in black and white what was needed, but if my friend had left it till the last minute before leaving, then she would have been right in the caca  for catching her ferry.

At least for the first journey back, I think that the vet, if they are not used to it all and the client needs to know what to do and sort it all out well in advance.