Help! Part Load Removal Needed...

Help!

We have been let down by the removal firm we had planned to use - they seemed very flexible on the phone, but now that we have a date for completion they can't move our belongings for over a week after the completion date!

Has anyone used/can anyone recommend a firm who could move a part-load (Luton van sized contents) from Wiltshire to Northern Dordogne for not too outrageous a price? It seems the problem with being a part-load is that you have to fit in around other peoples' removals, or you have to pay a heavy price for a dedicated load! We are reluctant to pick a "man and a van" out of the YP, but any recommendations gratefully received!

Many thanks

Alistair

Hi, hope I'm not too late with this message. Am new to this forum but wonder if Alec Day could help you out? I used Alec for a move, it was a while ago now, but I found him to be really helpful, caring and flexible. Think others from these forums have recommended him aswell, so am not alone! Can't think of anything worse than being let down with the removals, hope you've been able to fix something else up. If not, Alec's mobile number is 07831 121555 (I think - check!); I'm sure he'd do his best to help you out. Good luck.

[quote]Help! We have been let down by the removal firm we had planned to use - they seemed very flexible on the phone, but now that we have a date for completion they can't move our belongings for over a we...[/quote]

Hi Alastair!

we have used a guy called Alec Day with our removals, he is 100% trustworthy and I have no hesitation in recommending him. His mobile is 07831 121555

Cheers

Athene

• 2 weeks later...

I used a firm from our host Living France who are based in Sherborne Dorset, not a thousand miles from you.  They take part loads from any size.  My experience of them was very good.  They gave a delivery time and were spot on time.  The are FRENCH CONNEXION TEL 01935 872222 EMAIL

[email protected]

Good luck

When I bought my household to France, I was quoted originally, by a Cornish removal firm; £3,400. So we hired a Luton Van locally and a friend of mine drove me down to The Charente. We unloaded and took the van back to the UK. The following week I returned to France with my wife in the car and settled in our rented accommodation.

Hire of the Van £259. Fuel about £70. Ferry £250. With meals and incidentals, the whole exercise cost about £700.It was an enjoyable experience, even more so when you considered the money saved! It is worth investigating!

When I moved out I got 3 quotes. Two proposed collection to delivery in a max 2 weeks (i.e. shared loads being stored at depots, etc.) and one came to collect everything, drive to France and unload everything. The quoted prices were that the direct move (load lorry, drive to France using ferry, then unload) has actually half the price of the other two. I ended up using Pickfords (the direct one - no storage/shared loads) at half the price of the other two and had no problems with the service they provided. I got quotes in advance and then gave them 3 weeks notice (requiring a specific date for the move) - which was no problem for them. Being a larger company they bring-in people from different depots to even the workload.

I took up less than half of one of their big lorries.

I suppose my point is actually - don't rule out dedicated loads on the basis of price as this may not be the case.