Pet passport to exit UK to France

eaglesalz

Yes. [url]http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F806.xhtml[/url]

They might not check it on the way to France, but it doesn't mean you don't need one.

You don't say if it's a one-way trip, but you will certainly and categorically be checked if you are returning to the UK. Even if that's not your intention, there are plenty of abandoned dogs in France whose UK owners thought they wouldn't be coming back and had to leave them behind for the want of a passport.

[quote user="eaglesalz"]Hello, do I need to get a pet passport for my dog to exit the UK to go to France. Thanks Jeff[/quote]

Yes, and make sure you start the vaccinations early.  The French require a high level of anti-rabies immunity and your dog might need more than just the one jab.  They have to test the level to make sure it meets with French requirements before issuing the passport.

Ours did when we moved over here and our vet in the UK was telling us that the French require an unnecessarily high level.  I think that's also the reason you need to get your dog vaccinated yearly in France but only 2-yearly in the UK.

We have ours done yearly;  in case we need to move back to the UK and so she is always ready to leave with us![:D]

Edit:  I don't think I explained at all well why people need to keep up the vaccinations if living in France and might need/want to return to the UK.  We keep the jabs going yearly just in case a French vet refuses to sign the passport in case of a lapse of cover.  Yes, the levels might be less rigorous in the UK but I am not taking the risk of a refusal to provide a passport on the French side.

If people do these things "by the book" (whoever's book it is), then you will not have cases like those mentioned by Betty, where people have to leave their pets behind.  Me, I'd rather stay behind than leave my dog behind.

Thank you all. I have lived in France for 8 years and then moved to Austria for a year and then back to the UK. Now having come back to the UK and things not being what they were, I am now leaving again for France, lets say for good. The only thing is we have just bought a Puppy and was just finding out the rules etc. Thanks again. Regards Jeff

• 1 year later...
No. Don't let people who have merely read regulations online tell you what is what.

On the Eurotunnel, your dog is NOT checked, neither is its passport, upon leaving the UK or on entering France at Calais.

For ferries i can't say. But with Eurotunnel you do NOT need a passport for taking a dog to France despite what regulations or the internet says. Getting back into the UK with it is a different ball game, though.

And yet we had our dog passport checked on the UK side when leaving the UK and the dog. Our dog was 'french' and we lived in France then. And as has been said, animals being imported into France have to have certain paperwork.

So look after your animal, make sure it will be safe in France and have all it's vaccinations and everything done properly. There have been rabies out breaks in France, not many any more, but it does happen.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Importing-animals-into-France,2780

Everything is clear on that site.

And to philv, the eurotunnel is not the french government, and why you would think that they are some sort of judge and jury as to what happens is beyond me.