Birthday party for a 5 year old - help please?

le val charente

Hi, wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes...... Any pointers about hosting our first kiddy party in France please?

What do the children (and their parents) expect?

Is it the normal 2 hours-ish as in the UK?

Do they have goody bags or anything?

Any advice on special games to play?

Many thanks in advance

Good news! of all the parties we've been to here there is VERY little organised in the way of games etc.

What tends to happen is the kids all go off and play and the adults all sit in the kitchen and drink a glass of wine or coffee.

It's true!

Occasionally you have to sort out the kids with shouts of "Doucement!" and "Benoit - arrete!"

Many parents will drop their kids off and come back in 2 hours or (whatever's been organised), and then stay for an aperitif and a chat.

Cake and candles and "joyeuse anniversaire" is expected.

There was one party where the mum had organised a treasure hunt, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Party bags have been seen, but nothing elaborate, some sweets, a balloon, extra cake, smarties a "matchbox" car for the boys, pretty hairclip for the girls.

Its all round a much more relaxed affair

Stew

One of our parties kept us indoors so I introduced them all to pass the parcel and they loved it so much, the following years meant I had to do it again and again and more than once at each party. As the previous poster said, just let the kids get on with it and as long as there is junk food galore and******a,they will be happy. We didn't give party bags and my kids never came home with any,although a bit of cake or a few sweets in the hand seem accepted. Places like Quick organise parties if you are worried about entertaining indoors and you can go off shopping whilst the staff do the hard work AND the kids get to go home with little gifts.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Don't know if this message is a bit late but thought I'd just add that it is not worth doing any food for the children except for providing lots of sweets.  The first year I did sandwiches and jelly and ice-cream and they hated it!!!  I did organise a few games though and gave little presents which they all seemed to like but my children didn't get that at any other parties.  I also did little party bags but again a few extra sweets will probably suffice.  For the past 2 years though I've taken the easy way out and gone to Quick!

Tina

As it is the hour for the gouter when parties are held, I always made a gouter for the kids. Everything was always eaten.I used to make quiche lorraine and pizza, put out saucisson and crisps, then birthday cake. I never put out meal size quantities though.

When giving kids tasters of english food, I would do it when one or two were over rather than a lot. Most things went down well, especially beans.

As it is the hour for the gouter when parties are held, I always made a gouter for the kids. Everything was always eaten.I used to make quiche lorraine and pizza, put out saucisson and crisps, then birthday cake. I never put out meal size quantities though.

I never made up goody bags or sent kids home with a slice of birthday cake, which was what always happened when I was a child. Games, well it would depend on the weather really and what my child wanted to do for their party. Both boys were born in summer, so usually they wanted to be outside doing something.

When giving kids tasters of english food, I would do it when one or two were over rather than a lot of kids. Most things went down well, especially beans.

Does anyone remember birthday scones? Split the scones in half, butter and hide inside some, not all, a coin wrapped in greaseproof paper. This should appeal to 5 year olds.  But keep an eye on them so that they don't check them out before eating the scones. Pat.