School and school-bus strikes

SaligoBay

Is there a website or similar where us mere non-teaching mortals can keep up to date with planned school strikes?   I know Mistral mentions them now and again.

A Monday strike without warning by the buses is, I guess, just one of life's little nuisances.    Anarchy outside collège tonight as parents turned up in cars to collect 800 little darlings.

There's a website that tries to keep up with strikes, I think it was set up in the big strikes 2 years ago. http://www.greves.org/pages/home.php I have a feeling it is more about transport than schools.

Bus strikes aren't linked to school or the ed nat, the school buses are generally private companies who are contracted by the schools or buses from the conseil general. I imagine yesterday's had more to do with the routier manifestations yesterday. I don't think we had them in my school.

As Jane said, there's a teacher strike planned for the 7th December, I think it was planned to react to the new projet de loi because the original report looked like being radical, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the projet de loi that's strike-worthy (from what I've read, I may have missed something) So the strike is about the same things as the last couple (suppression de postes) I think it's going to be primary and secondary (no idea for superieur) I'd be surprised if the private sector goes on strike about jobs in the ed nat although they might have done against the projet de loi (since it touches them too)

Thank you for those.

Our buses were on strike for 3 days this week.  It turns out there WAS a notice on the school noticeboard by the gate about it on Friday afternoon, but children nowadays, you just can't trust them to read official notices..... 

We did know about the 7th Dec strike, but only because some parents actually looked at the noticeboard themselves while waiting to pick their little cherubs up - because the buses were on strike!

I've been wondering if there isn't a more reliable means of transmitting such information, but I suppose not.  There's no assembly or similar gathering, and they only see the form teacher twice a week.   I guess it's just French - il faut se débrouiller!     

I think one of the problems for parents in relation to school strikes is that, in college and lycee at least, although the unions might announce a strike, it doesn't mean that all the teachers are going to be absent.  Also, some might decide to tell their classes they are not going to be there, but others not.  So just because a strike is announced it doesn't mean that the little cherubs don't have any classes.

I've been wondering if there isn't a more reliable means of transmitting such information, but I suppose not.  There's no assembly or similar gathering, and they only see the form teacher twice a week.   I guess it's just French - il faut se débrouiller!

Not at all Any information like that can always stuck into their carnet de liaison/correspondance. I'm always getting surveillants coming into my class and asking me to distribute little slips of paper about parents meetings or no cantine or whatever. I've never seen a strike warning being given out (that wouldn't be a good idea, it could encourage parents to think that the whole school will be closed, when only a few teachers may be absent) but for things like no buses, they could certainly do it if they know in advance.

Aren't you a délégué des parents this year? Maybe you could suggest it at the next conseil de classe.

Sorry, must have mixed you with someone else

You can still pass the message on to your délégués, you should have a list of who they are for your class. The conseils will starting soon. We're coming to the end of our first week- but we always start very early. Just one tonight, so I'll be home before the kids go to bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Message duly passed on.

FCPE and PEEP have got together to sort out a petition to send to Progésud, saying that we parents want a school bus service for our children.

We're paying 95 euros a term for this bus "service", which was already on strike earlier in the term, and is now entering the THIRD WEEK of its current strike.   Sigh.

It's not fun, having to fight with all the 4-wheel drives at little-darling-pick-up time. 

If there was a strike today here I wish someone had told me...now I am worried where my College age kid is. The other one came home quite happy at lunch time and said nothing. The College kid isn't daft, by the way and bilingual, so I am not shaking in my boots.

She came trotting home at 2.30! Boy was she happy. Boy was the one in Primaire in a bad mood.....no strike there, YET. There's some big fandango on next week too I hear through the grapevine, though how true or local this is I can't say. All the ones who DIDN'T strike yesterday are having their turn.

I  haven't heard anything about next week. Maybe it's only primary. Apparently the primary unions didn't call their members out on yesterday's strike because the projet de loi didn't actually have much to say about primary, except for encouraging language learning.

Mixed situation in my school yesterday. Some classes only had one absent teacher in the day, others only had two present. It didn't seem to make much difference to the number of pupils who came. I generally had half classes.

I'll be shot by my collègues for saying this, but you know that the school has to accept children over 6 even on strike days. I have been told that primary schools don't have to if the whole school is closed, but I've also been told that this is rubbish and the head has to open and take the kids. A collège can't send a child home because he hasn't got any teachers if he is non autorisé. When my school did a total strike a few years ago, we had to ring all the parents to collect their kids and those we didn't contact stayed at school day