Qualifications

alece

I have tried to find this out but to no avail......GRRRRRR

I am trying to find out what the French equivalent of my English Qualifications. I have 8 GCSE's at grade C or above and a GNVQ level 2 (took 2 years) and GNVQ level 3 (took 3 years). (equivalent to and AS and A level I believe)

I need to update them on my CV Francais

Many thanks

Al

I think (but can't recall why I think it) that you can quote your qualifications at a specific level (1-5). For an explanation see

http://www.wulfrun.ac.uk/courses/qualifications.html

but you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Alternatively email the Department for Education and Skills and they are obliged to give you an official answer. I would, but I'm not there anymore and don't have access to the information.

GCSE = brevet (if any vocational course, add BEP + the trade, ie BEP maçonnerie, BEP électro-technique, etc..)

The other diplomas = bac + indication of "academic orientation", where

S= mostly science courses, ES= social sciences, L= arts and humanities,

STT= accounting, management, secretarial, SMS= paramedical, STI=

applied science

WZRNING "nivea bac" means you took the course but either failed the exam OR never took the exam.

put niveau bac, diplome obtenu, just to be sure then.  It is a

difficult subject.  Personally I wouldn't put the word brevet on

your cv, because it is just taken for granted that you have it if you

have gone on to do furher studies.  Also, there was a time when

they didn't do it here at all, around 1979, so it would not be seem as

that odd not to have it.

[quote user="alece"]So basically all the time and effort I put into my exams in the UK basically counf for nothing in France???[/quote]

No, that's not the problem at all!   On your CV, you just have to express what you have in a language they can understand.   I know it hurts to "obliterate" those precious letters that you worked so hard for, but you have to do it!  [:)]

If you mean they count for nothing because unemployment is so high etc, then maybe you have a point, but it's just as hard for French graduates.