How do you find childcare?

NoIdea!

Aside from an agency (not much choice where I live), how do you find an assistant maternelle?  I'm an Expat, so I assume that we do not qualify for help from the "official'' departments (is there one??).  I am unable to hire an au pair as we are not fluent in french and have no room for one to live in. Local teenages seem far to busy with homework to do babysitting.   Is there an organisation that covers assistant maternelles?

Thanks very much

Frances

I would be very careful taking someone on to care for your children unless you can get very good references. There doesn't seem to be the vetting/police checks in France as in the UK.

Having said that, there are often ads placed by local students looking for part time child care jobs in our small commune's tabac so, if someone is lives nearby it's much easier to check their references.

You could also ask at your Mairie if your commune is small as they usually know everyone.

[quote user="zeb"]I would be very careful taking someone on to care for your children unless you can get very good references. There doesn't seem to be the vetting/police checks in France as in the UK. [/quote]

The vetting of 'Assistante Maternelles Agréee' is very thorough (been there, done that). As Les Lauriers said, your local Mairie holds a list of  these, just ask.