Security in french schools

Chrissie

Its quite frightening sometimes what goes on here in the Lycées. For the second day in a row, the pupils where my son goes in town, are going to lock all the staff out from midday and sit in front of the doors and gates still protesting about the CPE problem. Its not an official strike and the kids will get punished eventually even though most are over 18 years old and adults. My son was warned that if he remained inside after the noon bell, he might end up there for the weekend if they carry on.The principal seems powerless to do anything about it or the teachers and if there is damage done the parents have to pay out.

About 3am yesterday morning, some people broke into my son's collège, broke a load of windows by throwing stones through them, and scribbled a selection of obscenities on classroom walls.

Most likely culprits are ex-students with a grudge, apparently.

As a mother of 4, including 3 teenagers, I have never had any violence in any of my children's French or English schools - but I have been out of the sytem for 2 years, home educating, so perhaps things have changed?

I have never experienced anything more than locked doors and gates once all the children are in school. I hope that I am not tempting luck by writing this...