Idea's

Lollie

I know this is not french education exactly, but not sure where to place this question.

A french friend has a daughter in Terminale, who is looking to take a gap year, in the UK,  she wants  to go to school there for one year   to improve her english. I have struggled to find much info for her, as I see it it would be impossible to attend school for one year as most 18 year olds have left full time schooling and moved onto higher education.  Is they a scheme in the uk similar to the teachings assistants here, as I thought maybe a teaching assistants role in french may be useful.

Any suggestions please??

Lollie

I rather agree with Cassis' suggestion of au pairing. A gap year usually means a year out of education, that's what it's a gap between. (If you see what I mean.) Obviously this could include some language classes. What are her career aims and what is her language level?

[quote user="Jon"]What about a foundation course at a University?  They usually run for a year, and are designed to introduce a subject so it would give her chance to learn the language.
[/quote]

Not sure she'd get into a foundation course without an IELTS score.....and it would cost tuition fees as an overseas student, wouldn't it? (Or am I talking through an orifice other than my mouth again?)

Coming as an au pair isn't a bad idea, and she could either pay for English lessons and do Cambridge Certificate or similar, or attend LEA ESOL classes, which are free to all EU nationals.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]

[quote user="Jon"]What about a foundation course at a University?  They usually run for a year, and are designed to introduce a subject so it would give her chance to learn the language.

[/quote]

Not sure she'd get into a foundation course without an IELTS score.....and it would cost tuition fees as an overseas student, wouldn't it? (Or am I talking through an orifice other than my mouth again?)

[/quote]

I believe EU students are treated the same as UK students for fees etc.  As long as she has her BAC she should be able to get onto a foundation course.  Au pairing is fine if you like children, but not much fun if you don't.

Mrs Jon

How about voluntary work at one of the numerous 'retreat' type places that are dotted about the UK.  Often they offer board and lodging in exchange for a set number of hours a day.  Usually these would allow enough time daily to go to a local college for English classes.  You would need to research one that had things that interest her (animals/new age/children?).

Church organisations may be another place to research to see if there are opportunities to 'do' voluntary work in return for board and lodging. 

[quote user="Jon"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe EU students are treated the same as UK students for fees etc.  As long as she has her BAC she should be able to get onto a foundation course.  Au pairing is fine if you like children, but not much fun if you don't.

Mrs Jon
[/quote]

Fees are the same for EU students as for UK students but you're right about the IELTS score.

Thanks for the clarification of my comments, guys. I didn't actually say that the tuition fees would be different/higher, though, just that they would be applied. There certainly aren't any exemptions for overseas students, or loans/grants to reduce them. And they aren't particularly cheap, least of all when accommodation and other associated costs are added on top, are they?