French Education

The Lowes

We have lived in France for three years with our 15 year old son.  He has been in the French state school system since the age of 12 and has coped exceptionally well, passing his Brevet this year.  Unfortunately, he struggles with the maths and therefore the physics too and sadly, this year,(seconde) it is beyond our capabilities to help him!!

Is there anyone who can help or offer advice?  Ideally we would like someone to review the work covered in class each week with him to make sure he understands and is not left behind.  We live in departement 32 (Gers), nr Lectoure but would be willing to travel if necessary.

Thanks very much

so sorry i can't help as I am hopeless at both subjects. My A' Level students here couldn;t believe that in the rest of Europe students have to keep up, and pass, all subjects for the BAC - and my foreign students CANNOT believe that in the Uk students only study 4 subjects at AS and 3 for As- Well done to your son for coping so well with the change, and hope you find a private tutor for him soon (ie urgently - sooner it gets help the better). But isn;t it amazing how the UK system is so vastly different to the rest of the world. If the worst happens, and he really can't cope with physics/maths - maybe (by the end of the year) you may have to come to the conclusion that he would be better to start AS here in the UK. could he stay with family/friends for 2 years? Otherwise I used to teach at a state school in Loughborough wiht a boarding school- not so expensive as you only pay for boarding, not for tuition. Hopefully he will get help soon and do fine. Best wishes and courage to him (and you all)