Accident & personal injury insurance required for infant starting maternelles

Oboulez

Our child is starting maternelle next week. We have just received the joining instructions, and in this letter it indicates that - as well as a school bag & folders etc, you need 'attestation d assurance de l enfant (responsibilite civile & individuelle accidents corporels). Does anybody know anything about this or how you might get it? Thanks.

Easy, just ask your house insurers for a seperate Accident Scolaire policy for your child, costs about €20 from what I can remember. You then take a photocopy of the policy and give to the school although most schools send home paperwork to take out a policy with a school insurer but its more expensive.

Weird that they didn't enclose an insurance proposal, they always used to when mine were at school.

Some

people would take this 'option' when proper school started, as it would cover for say private

tuition, if a child missed a lot of schooling due to ill health and the policy attached to

their home insurance often would not cover this.

And folders???I do not understand that at all. Chaussons and a bag for them, I would have thought. Also I had to give ours a list of the vaccinations they had had, but you may have already done that.

Maternelle is not obligatory, you child doesn't have to go all day either. You don't mention which section, as in the petite and even moyenne section,  often sleep most of the afternoon, which would not have suited me at all, as I would have had mine up until, who knows what hour, as they wouldn't have been ready for bed at their usual time.

And Maternelle, well as far as I am concerned it is smashing, and the only bit of french education system that is worth it's salt.

Our basic insurance was free, just asked for it as part of the house insurance. We used ours when our youngest had a play ground accident. He took action against another child (ages 8) when he took a hit to the mouth. We were hesitant at first but the girls parents insisted. He could have lost a tooth which had the potential to be very expensive and long term if he had. As it was it was his jaw that had a hairline fracture, not the tooth. Their insurance paid for all the medical expenses and he got a lump sum settlement! I later met a mother who had decided not to do this with her son, and was regretting it all the way to the bank. The paperwork for the incident was horrendous (statements from the teachers, witnesses, inspection of safety of school equipement etc) but well worth it. Our neighbours also took us to task when their son, playing alone on our trampoline, broke is own arm! Insurance sorted it all, no probs.

Well Lehaut, I didn't know that they did that.

My husband had his crutiate ligament messed up by his sports coach, no idea what term to use, as it isn't a broken bone, but the insurance companies involved covered medical costs, but settlement, not at all.

Our son had beautiful teeth at 13 and then had an elbow in the mouth doing a sport and broke two of his upper teeth and the bottom ones eventually went black. All the crowns paid for, but settlement............NOPE!!!

I have never heard of anyone getting a settlement for such things. I had asked, as we were most certainly out of pocket on both occasions but each time they said that they didn't do that and we could have done with it, especially when my husband was unable to work.

We were with the MAIF for our VAM and RAQVAM and it is a respectable insurance company in France, and on both occasions we had sports insurance too.

As I said, the specific policies sometimes have cover for private tuition if a child is ill. And once they get to college it is serious stuff and if they miss too much they would be sunk AND that is why many parents go for the extra cover.

I certainly considered taking an extra policy out, even though ours was included with the MAIF, but just a very basic policy.