Returning to the UK - GUTTED!

Hi all,

Some of you may remember us, James and Phil - our website www.leboisdelamotte.com where we detailed our renovation exploits, had our****** named and showed our bottoms.... as you do..

Well - Our dream is over.... and we have never been so gutted.

My father ( who hasn't had the best of health in recent years) became ill this summer - and I have been flying back and forth to see him and help out.

It got to the point where I just felt that we were just too far away.

The renovations were going swimmingly. Everything within budget and (roughly) on time. But all the time we knew that a decision was soon to be made. A Very difficult time indeed.

And so, we sat down a couple of weeks ago and after much discussion (and a few tears) came to the horrible decision to sell. 15 minutes later (I kid you not!) Scary Mary from the Mairie arrived with our Permis de construire. At this point, even the dogs were crying !

I just thought I would post this on the forums to let people know - I know some of you were visitors to our website, and may be wondering why there hasn't been an update this month. I would explain our reason for selling on the website (mainly to avoid having to answer all the emails!) - But its a bit tricky, as my family look at the website, and i would hate for my father to think that he is the reason for our return.

Thankyou all for your support. The help and encouragement has been wonderful.

To anyone that is reading this and thinking of moving to France, don't be put off - We love it here, the French people are amazing, the countryside stunning, the cheese to die for (even if it does make the fridge smell like a worn-out jock strap) - and the wine.... oh, the wine.... !
But if you are thinking of moving to France - maybe think through every possible scenario concerning your family back in the UK.

Thanks to you all...

Phil and James

James, I'm very very sorry to hear this. No one can ever know in advance how they will respond to a loved ones illness, but for you and Phil this must be the right decision.

I am certain your father will be glad to have you nearby again. Maybe you should tell him that he is the reason for your return - to have this much evidence of your feelings for him will mean a lot, and you will only have to think of a false excuse otherwise. I loved your site, and by the way everyone, James emails are just as funny - I don't know how he keeps it up!

Good luck guys.

tresco

So sorry to hear your news, I'm sure you have thought it through and it must be heartbreaking after all your hard work - but as you know you just never know what twists and turns life will take..........you may be back !

In the meantime you make a very good point about family considerations.

I'm sure the sale will be an interesting process, do let us know how it goes and most of all my very best wishes and GOOD LUCK !!

This must have been a difficult decision for you but I believe families are important and once they've gone they cannot be replaced, so I am sure you are doing the right thing. As leschenauds said, maybe you can move back to France at a later stage.

Good luck with the sale and do make the most of the time that you have with your Father.

Bon Courage

Gill

• 3 months later...

Just a quick one to say thankyou to all of you for your kind words.

It makes it so much easier to know that people think you are doing the right thing - because naturally we doubt that we are. Its hard giving up on a dream.

My father is still the same - and its becoming increasingly difficult being far away. Those bmibaby trolley-dollies must be sick of the sight of me!

As for the property - Well its still for sale. We have done all the work we can do, and its looking great (making it even harder to think of selling!) We have had loads of interest - about 10 viewings so far - and more in the pipeline. Some of the immos have been fantastic! Others not so good. (we have the property with six agents!) When we sell, we will post our opinions on the different agents. May be of use for people who find themselves in the same position as us.

Once again - thanks for your support.

Phil and James

http://www.leboisdelamotte.com