Licences, fines and things.........

zeb

Bad day so far in the Charente! Went shopping for food and essence then headed off through local village to cut grass. Got chased and stopped by two motorbike cops who had been hiding behind a tractor. Result 90 euro fine for not wearing seatbelt and a warning to get a new tyre immediately!

They shuffled through my documents and said I have to have French driving licence as I am resident in France. Again, get it changed immediately.

Luckily all my other van documents were in order and in the glovebox but.....they could see the van was full of work equipment (mower, strimmer, bucket of tools, radio, flask and lunchbox etc)so they asked if I was registered or employed.....have micro said I....where are your papers then, said he, still wearing crash helmet and shades (scarey). Had to admit they were in filing cabinet at home - so....they are to be produced at local gendarmerie immediatement.

They gave me a receipt for the euros and a note in various languages explaining that if you have no proof of address or employment in France they can impound your car!

They also managed to stop two other old cars whilst all this was going on - all the newish models sailed past. I asked politely where they were going next (as I have another job apres midi 10klms away) but they wouldn't tell me - no sense of humour.

So be warned if, like me, your vehicle is elderly - keep within the law, watch out if you pass a tractor, change your driving licence if you are resident, oh and have money on you at all times!

regards......helen

>>So be warned if, like me,
>your vehicle is elderly -
>keep within the law,

Says it all really. Why weren't you wearing your seatbelt?

There was a piece on Meridian television last night about a family of four who walked away unscathed from a smash last weekend. You should have seen the state of their BMW. And the firemen said that if it hadn't been for their belts, they'd have left the scene in coffins.

ALWAYS wear your seatbelt.

Helen,

I am totally surprised that you, as a resident were fined on the spot. Have the rules changed, or have I been lucky, or?

I cannot remember any French friends or Brit residents that have paid that way. I know guests and other "tourists" that have had to pay on the spot.

From a personal point, the 3 (head bowed, and yes, 3)but well spread out speeding fines, have all meant getting an avis (or whatever you want to call the penalty sheet) and a trip to the local tabac to pay the fine in stamps etc, stick 'em on the thingy and send it all off within so many days to avoid a further penalty.

Don't forget to check the back of the penalty sheet you received, it will tell you how many points you will be losing.

Whoops, just read it again, you had a British licence, so that is why you paid on the spot and will possibly not have any points taken from your licence as you do not possess a French licence. If you are concerned just go to your nearest sous prefecture or prefecture and ask them if you have been registered as losing points.

Miki

I was also stopped by the Gendarmes on the way home from shopping the other day. I was speeding just a little bit in my 29 year-old Peugot 104! I had all my papers, including French drivers licence and carte Gris, but did not have my insurance document with me. I was politely told that I had to carry this at all times and then they let me go, with a big smile and I promised to behave and not to speed!!! I have been told that if you do not change your licence within one year of arriving in France, you can be asked to sit a French driving test!!!!!

Angie Moore (17)

Hi Helen, Jongleuse here,

Commiserations. I too got fined this week by the gendarmes. I was on my way to my meeting and saw them at the top of our main road. Just my luck to be stopped as I had to sit next to them at the roundabout. My problem was a worn tyre on the side edge, which here is not legal, even if the depth of the tyre tread is legal. I got fined straight away and paid by cheque - 90 euros as well. I could have paid it later, but it is better to pay on the spot, which is fairly standard here (dept 16) whether French or not. My French friends were shocked at the amount of the fine, but I presume this is the new fixed amount?

I showed all my papers (French registered English car)and my French driving licence, so it was a fairly quick procedure. At a busy time early morning, I am sure I was being made an example of. Very embarrassing with all these cars pulling up at the roundabout and ogling us. I smiled all the time, whilst fuming that I was late for my meeting and poorer and couldn't he just warn me to get a new tyre!!

Still I am legal again now (another 98 euros for tyres) and he was rather a hunky gendarme who had to take his helmet off (the motorbike ones you know) so I was able to check him out. I do like men in uniform!! Not sure if my infringement of the rules meant he could put points on (or is it off here?) my licence, but he put a slash through the box which asked for the no of points to be penalised!! Thank heaven for small mercies!!

So chin up, at least you are OK if like me poorer (and wiser!)

Regards
Jongleuse

The issue of changing Driving Licenses is a bit confusing. Didn't I read a thread a few weeks ago that decided it wasn't necessary to change to French licences or am I imagining things?
Another rule to definitely watch out for is STOP signs! Along the road from us is the Gendarmes favourite trap and everyone who doesn't stop COMPLETELY is fined. Watch out!