Changing to a french driving licence

Trixipup

Thought I would let you know of my experiences changing my english licence to a french permis de conduire in the hope it may be of some use to someone. It may change from department to department but here's what I needed to do in (32) - the Gers:

I had searched the LF archives for help but everyone's views seemed to differ so, in the end the first time, I took along with me to the Prefecture...
My current english licence (original - they would not accept a photocopy)
An EDF bill plus a recent France Telecom bill to show my residency status (if you have a CDS this is even better, but we are still waiting for ours after 8 months) I didn't even want to begin trying to explain that a CDS is no longer essential to live here now
Two passport sized photos
You will also need to complete form CERFA No: 11247*01 "Demande d'change de permis de conduire" which they should give you.

The lady at the desk was extremely condescending (clearly they broke the mould with that one!) and informed me that I did not have all the correct pieces of paper. I also needed a piece of identification, either a photocopy of my carte de sjour or of my passport but in any case she would not be able to do it as I also needed proof of residency for six months.

She told me I could gather all the relevant papers and take them to the Mairie along with an attestation from the Mairie saying I haved lived here permenantly for at least six months. Then, she said, the Mairie would send it all to her. I asked whether I could bring it back myself and she looked at my third head and said if I thought that would be any easier... Oh brother!

Anyway I returned today with the following, as requested...

Original driving licence
Two passport sized photographs (identical)
Copy of passport as identification
Three different bills showing dates over six months old as proof of residency
Cheque for 46

Here's the clincher; she almost refused to process it all because I now didn't have a recent bill to prove that I had been living here for at least six months!!! Fortunately, the synapses in my third head connected and I offered my carte vitale which I had with me. She reluctantly accepted it but she did insist that I go and photocopy both sides! She also wanted me to go and photocopy the bills if I wanted to keep the originals. What a palaver

After handing over all the relevant stuff I waited maybe half an hour and hey presto! A french licence. I'm sure it is different wherever you go, but this may be helpful as a guideline. It certainly was a good morning's work

Dannie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

I didn't even check actually how long it lasts (too excited/relieved to get it!) but now I am looking again it seems that some categories are for five years only, e.g. lorry, artic, and car+ caravan. A normal car is indefinite, it appears, as there is no end date.

Dannie

My original posting was to offer some semblance of help for anyone who was changing their licence, but I am now starting to think 'why did I bother?'

Let's just say I changed it, this is what I needed to provide and be done with it, eh? If you think I was wrong to change (o) then go ahead, sue me. When I said,

"Thought I would let you know of my experiences changing my english licence to a french permis de conduire in the hope it may be of some use to someone",

I was not expecting to be shot down in flames because some of you know better and I also did not expect to have to defend my reasons for changing. If you read the posting carefully, you will discover why I changed my licence.

Next time I shall think twice before posting a 'helpful' situation.

Dannie