Classic number plate

Krill

Hi, I have just bought a 1973 honda and have now received a new cart gris with new number, I would like to get an original style plate for it (black and silver pressed alloy) does anyone know where I can find these in France as our local dealer just saaid no

Sorry but I think you will find all current plates regardless of the age of the vehicle have to conform to european standards of white and yellow and are not allowed to deviate, hence the reason why the letters and numbers are all the same size and shape. The old plates were deemed to be rid of because they are not visible enough. Most garages and dealers have a large notice on their wall reminding customers how their number plates should look.

Hi

As there are old cars still using silver on black plates, they are not illegal for older vehicles.

These changes are normally introduced for "vehicles first registered after XX/XX/XXXX". The problem is the interpretation of "first registered". Does it mean first registered "in France" or "with this No" ?.

I've seen that the number plate maker in my local supermarket still has silver on black plates on display, although I've not seen him making any up. I think it is Mr Minute and they also do shoe repairs, key cutting etc.

Presumably they have rare sales for replacements on older cars, as they do in UK.

Worth checking out Mr Minute in your local yellow pages ?

Peter

[quote]HiAs there are old cars still using silver on black plates, they are not illegal for older vehicles.These changes are normally introduced for "vehicles first registered after XX/XX/XXXX". The problem ...[/quote]

Hi, Thanks for the help, I,m sure there are people making plates here because I have seen loads of vintage cars and bikes and never seen a yellow plate on any of them. England has two companys advertising but can only do up to six characters, I will try the boot repairers

Thanks again

Chris

P,S how do I reply without the quote?

My husband recently completed all the paperwork, CT etc to register

his vintage car in France. He took the form from the Prefecture to the

garage to order the new plates which he had assumed would have to be the

garish yellow ones. He took the car to have them fitted at which point

the garage owner arrived and pronounced them quite unsuitable for a car

of that age. He instructed his mechanic to scrap them and to make up

a new set in the traditional black and silver. These were duly fitted

(with no charge for the duplication) and John is delighted with the

result. We live in 65 (Hautes Pyrenees) and can give you details of the

garage if it's near enough to you - but if not at least it proves it can

be done!

Val

If your car / bike has black and white plates then you are not required to change them. If you acquire a vehicule that has them and you subsequently change the registration number (changing department for example) then you have to put the yellow / white plates on. The only exception to this is if you have on your carte grise the mention that your vehicle is a collector item or, it can be inferred, if it is over 25 years old.

A lot of places still make and sell the old style plates, a long with all sorts of different style plates, which are not homologated for road use. This should be clearly stated by them as you could be in for a fine if you get stopped by the police.

What Honda is it by the way? 400/4? GS1100? before they becam known as (shudder) GoldWings

I have a 1958 Panther Model 100. Its a 600cc single. I haven't yet gotten a carte grise for it. It WILL HAVE to have black/silver plates. And some friends recently brought over my old faithful 1982 Kawasaki GT750. A lovely plodding shaft drive taht never, never gives any trouble.

Stew

(because I'm white, middle class, anglo saxon and male, I ride motor bikes so that I can belong to SOME kind of oppressed minority)

StephenLemmon - I thought it was no longer necessary to change your number plate when changing departments?

We have a second hand Kangoo with Corsican plates and bought it from a Renault dealer. Surely he would have had them changed if it were meant to?

Friends moved this summer and they changed their carte grise/number plates to their new dept. You don't pay to do this, but it is still obligitory and must be done within a month of the move.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F1474.html

What you mentioned is purchasing as well as changing dept and in your case if someone else didn't do it, you should do it and change your carte grise over, and you have to pay for the new one costs depending on the CV of your vehicule. Watch out, if you get pulled over to check your papers, then you could risk an amende. You had 15 days to do this.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/vosquestions/F2858.html

When you register the bike/car in your name you get a new cart gris with the new number on it, well I did last week, I have a Honda 350/four, the smallest bike I have owned apart from a c15 when learning many years ago but it is great fun around our local lanes

PS I had a friend on the Isle of Wight  who tuned Panthers to over 100 mph but not for long