Road tax Transit tipper

condorman

Hi All, does anyone know if i will have to pay road tax on my Transit tipper that i am bringing over from uk? Im also bringing my campervan its a fiat ducato with a coachbuilt back, its rhd, i have heared that some campers need road tax, any idears?? I will also have to have them maticulated any body tried this on similar vehicles?? they are boath about 10 years old....any info apreciated, Mark dept 12............thanks very much

[quote]As far as I'm aware, a private individual doesn't pay road tax on their vehicule(s) in France. If you register the truck (or other) in the name of a company, though, you'll have to tax it. Registeri...[/quote]

I have been told (albeit by a builder) that I have to have road tax in France for my Ford Transit. But after looking around at various French vans I haven't noticed anything resembling a tax disc....

Don't wish to ask the authorities as you get the usual 3 different versions non of which makes any logical sense (except to the French) 

A builder will probably have to pay tax on a vehicle but if you intend to use it privately you should not have to, as the previous reply said. Some people have had trouble re-registering camper vans if they have a door that opens on the left hand side.

Some people have had trouble re-registering camper vans if they have a door that opens on the left hand side

Will,

Having the door on the wrong side should not be a reason for a refusal. I have been involved with a couple of caravans that have passed threough the procedure OK (thanks to a good piece and an e-mail from John). Neither involved the door situation.

The logic must be that a family car (from any country in the world) having 4 doors, would always mean, 2 doors are on the wrong side.......

Now, I have also been involved with a few camper vans as well. Not one of those were refused through the door placement. All had to have gas, brakes, chassis, Vin plates and positioning of said plate and road lights throroughly tested. One (a nearly new mercedes camper van) was failed on a gas pipe being vulnerable but after work was accepted and passed.

I can't say that this would be the same everywhere because as with cars here,  I have come across a couple of jobsworth who were simply looking to fail the car regardless and that can be easy to do for the men from the DRIRE ! I have even asked a chap why they fail some UK caravans just because of the door issue and he categorically stated that this was not even an issue, yet on another forum, a chap said his van failed, due only to that.