Buying a used car

dinks

Hi all would appreciate if some one could give  me a few hints

We will  be moving to dep 16 ,1st week in jan and have a friends cottage to stay in while

We look and find are permanent residence.

We would like to buy a second hand French car when we get there , but do not wish to use the address at witch we will be staying to register the car .

Is there any way of   registering a car when you don’t have a permanent address .

Or any way of buying a car and then registering it later , as in we have the log book but do not change it until we have a permanent address

This may sound dodgy but do not wont to use the address we will be staying at  

thanks for any Replies

You cannot legally register a car in your own name in France without proof of residence. This will normally be in the form of a utility bill.

If you buy a secondhand car from a private individual he will write across the registration document "Vendu" and the date of sale. You are then obliged to re-register the car in the department where you have your principle residence. It costs about £100. Sorry but there is just no way round it. Penalties for not re-registering can be severe and you cannot get insurance without a valid registration document.

Hi

It may be possible.

Groupama insured my car on a chassis No pending French registration.

For Groupama and the registration, I used a letter from family saying that I was temporarily resident at their address.

The only downside was that I got a tax return from that departement !

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]You cannot legally register a car in your own name in France without proof of residence. This will normally be in the form of a utility bill.If you buy a secondhand car from a private individual he wi...[/quote]

This is not how the World works. I have bought twice in the last 35 years for short holidays in Europe. Smiled gently at the salesman produced proof of who I was and where I could be permenamtantly contacted. They sold to a Hotel and an Office address a lot cheaper than hiring for 7 weeks. 

I have a close friend who has worked in West Africa for the last 40 years. Hertz etc go into a state of fugue/total avarice when presented with an African driving license. He normally buys in France peugeot 504/ Mercedes Benz then exports at end of holiday etc then   

There are always dodgy ways to avoid the laws. They usually sooner or later end with a problem for someone or worse. As a resident of France it is far better and ultimately cheaper to stick to the rules. If you don't and things go wrong it generally sets off a chain of events which cost you dear.