French road tax on 4WDs ?!?!?!

Franglais24

Now, don't quote me on this but OH says that a pickup truck type 4X4 thingy with only two places pays road tax but a normal one with five places doesn't.

He doesn't seem awfully sure.  For a Frenchman, I sometimes despair.  Perhaps that is why the French don't buy them? 

4x4 enthusiasts will no doubt clarify this for you, but I believe the recent press coverage referred to the possibility of increasing taxes on new vehicles when they are purchased, that said, there appears to be a growing resentment to these vehicles in both London and Paris so the return of road tax in France for 4x4,s cannot be ruled out for the future.

What about full-time 4x4 luxury cars?  Will they be included?  Or are we looking at some blatant prejudice against a particular group of people?  Looking at the area  I intend to live and enjoy I am goingto need a 4x4 not a Porsche.

Coral - soon to be in Ariege - I hope!

"Or are we looking at some blatant prejudice against a particular group of people"

It could initially appear that way in London.  Columnist in the Telegraph at the weekend said 4x4 owners in the city were being made to feel social pariahs next only to smokers.  Honestly can't see the point of them in cities beyond status symbols for those who need such things but from a practical angle always wish we had one of ours with us when in rural France, especially in winter. Though I dread to think how much they cost to run. 

M (whose 4x4 goes into 4 wheel drive every day!)

Farmers in my part of 24 own them, and over the borders in 87 & 19. Never knew one park one in a muddy field though, they keep them very clean, strictly for shopping, strictly a status symbol. Some hunters do though (park them in muddy fields that is).

• 1 month later...

We took delivery of a new Range Rover this week. From memory the road tax portion (the Carte Grise) was about 680euros and is a one off charge.

Given that we will keep the car about 3 years, this will work out rougly the same as current UK road tax which I think is about £160 pa.

Em

[quote]We took delivery of a new Range Rover this week. From memory the road tax portion (the Carte Grise) was about 680euros and is a one off charge. Given that we will keep the car about 3 years, this wil...[/quote]

As far as I am aware there is no road tax in France, so the government cannot be thinking of putting it up for 4 x 4's, they are thinking about a higher rate of TVA for such vehicles and banning them from city centres though due to their relative high pollution and low KPL (MPG)

The Carte Gris is the similar to the UK vehicle Registration document and the amount paid for is dependent on the CV or CC , as previously posted some 4 x4's will cost as much as €600 to register, I paid € 154 for a 2 litre, but it is a one off payment, unless you move to another department, in which case within 6 months you have to re register your car in the new department

We have a 4WD Renault Scenic (only because it was cheap and available - you see defensive already ).  We have not had to pay anything extra.  Mind you, it's filthy, full of mud on the inside and outside, probably used more as a utility vehicle (with the back seats out or full of muddy dogs) than anything else and has NEVER been used to take children to school.  Tee hee!

• 2 months later...