'roadside assistance/insurance cover

Porth

Good evening we have today exchanged contracts on our house and will move out to our existing house next month.

Unfortunately and due to some legal work I do I will have to return to the UK from time to time leaving therefore my wife in France. Whilst away I would like to arrange for my wife and my vehicle to have roadside assistance.

We are bringing our two rhd vehicles with us.  Is there please such a thing as the equivalent of the RAC or AA in France? and on the question of car insurance do we go to our agent who dealt with lots of things for our house (he is AXA man) to get insurance of rhd vehicles.  Is there please any problems in getting insurance for rhd cars?

rdgs

We are with AXA in France and there is no problem with RHD vehicles as such but you will have to re-register them here and get French plates. It is not neccessarily a simple matter!

There is a lot in the archives about all this.

We have breakdown cover in our policy but have never used it so cannot tell you what actually happened. I am sure though that a local garage would be involved rather than a national organisation.

We have roadside assistance (for broken down cars rather than wives!) but last time I broke down - van filled with smoke - I couldn't get a signal on my mobile to phone the number!

I was stuck in a layby on the RN10 which a constant stream of lorry drivers (Spain to Paris route) used as an unofficial toilet stop! Ugh! Anyway, used the SOS phone in the layby and waited ten mintues before very friendly man in breakdown truck from local garage arrived, loaded van up and returned us to garage. They found small oil leak onto manifold which had caused smoke. Did temporary repair (at my request), asked for 90 euros (eek) and sent me on my way.

I ended up in a ditch between Azerables and the A20 during the snow; rang AXA's helpline who rang back in 10 minutes. The breakdown truck arrived within 45 minutes (roads were a sheet of ice and anything over 15 kms per hr was dangerous), spent an hour extracting the car from the ditch (with the help of the local farmer); took the car and myself to to the nearest AXA registered garage to check that the car was still roadworthy, and sent me on my way - all covered by the insurance policy!