Car tyres (again!)

Piddy

Can someone tell me the minimum tread for tyres for the CT. All 4 are fairly worn but am going back to UK in august after the CT and want to buy them there as they are cheaper.

Also if the car fails CT is there a charge. Someone on forum said that initial CT is free?

Piddy

The CT's are run by businesses and they charge. Different prices depending on whether it is a diesel or petrol car. I think that if it fails then the second test is at a reduced rate. I think it is about 40 euros or so for the test.

Sorry I don't know about the tyre usage.

[quote]Thanks all. Does the spare tyre get checked for tread? or do they tend to be a bit more lax on that one . Piddy.[/quote]

The same as the UK, the spare is not checked for the MOT/CT, but if you have a puncture and then use the spare it must conform to the law on tread depth and structure.

Derf, I don't understand that, as both our spares are real emergency things, feel like solid rubber to me (although they may not be) and not like the tyres that are on the cars, although they do fit, I've had flats and had to change the wheels on both cars.

Both spares provided by the manufacturer in France.

[quote]Derf, I don't understand that, as both our spares are real emergency things, feel like solid rubber to me (although they may not be) and not like the tyres that are on the cars, although they do fit, ...[/quote]

It simply means it has to be.

A: a tyre of the same structure, ie. Radial, if that's what the rest of your tyres on the car are.

B: It must meet the legal minimum for the required tread depth.

C: Have no cuts or serious abrasions on the tyre walls.

and providing it's only to be used as a temporary measure to get you home or to a garage then it's ok, it can be one of strange looking space saver tyres that lots of Modern cars now have provided by the manufacturer  as a spare wheel.

and as a temporary fitment It does not have to conform to the usual tyre regs. regarding, size, the same make of tyre, tread pattern and variations of tread depth between tyres. etc.

.........it can be one of strange looking space saver tyres that lots of Modern cars now have provided by the manufacturer  as a spare wheel.

That is exactly what they are. I can only assume that the manufacturer married my spares up with the others. The thing about these things is that they seem so odd that I get to the garage ASAP once it is on.