Do I need to change my driving licence?

mickey jim

Sorry but I'm getting a bit confused.  I have a Uk paper driving licence (issued 7 years ago).  Can I use this licence in France?  Or do I have to apply for a new EU UK photo licence/card?  We're renting in France at the moment, but are in the process of buying a house here.  We don't have a UK address anymore (although all our post is being redirected through normal channels), so suppose I could give that address to the DVLA to get a new licence if necessary (?).  I don't want to get a French licence, as at the moment we're only planning to stay 5-10 years - but who knows?

Unless you commit an endorseable offence, no. However not all gendarmes know this. It's better to get a letter from your prefecture confirming this for when you get pulled over as they don't like licences without photos.

Another problem might arise if the license is ever lost or stolen. DVLA won't send a replacement to France.

I believe that if you're permanently resident you do need a French driving licence. It is supplied simply on presentation of your British licence for one calendar year after taking upo residence. After that you will need to pass the French driving test.

That was the situation when we move out here 16 years ago, of course Schenghen might have changed that, though it's equally possible that your local Prefecture might not know that.

Is is silly or naive to suggest that you ask _them_?

As long as it's a pink one (even a pre-photo pink one) it is valid throughout the EC until the expiry date on it.

Reasons not to change: you want to be sure of keeping all your categories, you can't be bothered arguing the toss with lazy fonctionaires in certain prefectures who say that you can't do it.

Reasons to change: a lot less hassle if it's lost or stolen, it's a handy form of ID, it keeps ignorant gendarmes happy, you are approaching 70 when you will need to renew a UK licence but can't because you live in France, it gets rid of any endorsements and penalty points you might have. it fits better in most wallets.

There is no obligation to change to a French licence but I'm not sure that the local gendarmes agree.

My reason for changing is to avoid possible problems - my UK licence has an obsolete UK address which clashes with my certificat de residence, try explaining that to a gendarme !!

John

not

Can anyone confirm that you do currently need to take a French driving test, one year after swopping your UK licence for a French one? Can't say I fancy doing that too much after 30 odd years of doing it my way. I'm not at all sure that I'd impress a driving instructor with my technique much these days..

Nick

No because it's nonsense. Maybe not complete nonsense as there maybe a time limit for carrying over categories that are not standard on a French licence. If you don't want to tow trailers over 750kg gvw or drive vans over 3.5t it's never going to be a problem.

There was an article in the Times online yesterday about the UK paper licences being phased out shortly, people being made to change to photo licences soon and these to be renewed every ten years at a cost to the individual too in the UK. Read the article and see what you think because in the long run,you would be better off changing to a french licence now which is for life if you are living here because of the address problem and NO you do not take another ORDINARY driving test if you change to a french one but you must check it carefully as people have been issued with ones that do not allow driving outside europe and also HGV etc if they hold those licences.

[quote]There was an article in the Times online yesterday about the UK paper licences being phased out shortly, people being made to change to photo licences soon and these to be renewed every ten years at a...[/quote]

"  and these to be renewed every ten years at a cost to the individual too in the UK "

There'd be rioting in the streets if they tried this in France

This is timely.  Every time I attempt to change to a French licence, I am refused as I have many years to go on my UK one.  They gave me a letter which I flash at the flic if I am stopped.

However, my UK licence is old and I can see me with no licence at all so yesterday I decided to go to Vannes during the week and insist of a French licence.

We will see what they say....

Alexis they can't refuse to give you a french one. We HAD to change but that was when it was compulsory to do so within a year of arriving in France to live. Has your mairie helped you with the paperwork are you just going to the sous/prefecture locally? I am just about to demand a Titre de Séjour for my 18 year old as the authorities said he must have one to learn to drive and as identification - I just wish there was a reglemented universal rule in France whereby ALL fonctionaires obey it and not just what they think.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband's old paper green driving licence is about to biodegrade and can hardly be read.  He does want to drive large trailers and is worried about changing to a french licence.  We sent for the papers to change to a UK photo card but after reading the instructions we do not qualify to do this as we no longer live in the UK.

If he does change to a french licence, and does lose the right to drive trailers over 750kg., then what does he do to reinstate this?

I have a pink paper licence but no photocard, I believe I am right that I do not have to change to a french licence and I cannot change to a UK photo licence as I live in France. Any clirification or advice gratefully recved.

Washy

Washy

This is not the case.  He can continue to drive trailers IF he sits the medical every 5 years for under 60's every 2 for over 60's - which isn't that hard in Limoux.  The problem you may have now is that if you don't change it within the first year of moving he may be required to RE-SIT a driving test ... which is entirely a different case

Call me if you want and I'll talk you through it!