Japanees Imports

Mike1958

Has anyone had any experience of either importing a Japanese import from the UK to France, or are aware of any French companies importing from Japan. It is a bit of an obscure question however it seems that 4 x 4 MPV's are a rarety apart from vehicles like the Toyota Emina/Estima's.

They are very difficult to register. Last months Retromobille had a piece on the Mazda MX5 and unlike the UK where there are large numbers of Miatas or Eudos about there have been very few imported and the magazine specefically warned of the problems.  

Link below also mentions problems

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=293&messageid=116452

Have seen quite a few 4x4 jap imports on UK plates but not on french plates, don't know if any problems registering in France, but i would be carefull which import to bring to France, MX5s would be no problem, they dont break and the only parts I know that are different from UK MX5's are plug leads, I would be carefull with the imported 4x4 utility pickup types as they are prone to engine problems, can't think of the model at min.

I would be interested to know of any that have successfully registered in France.

The problem with MX5s is not parts but that you cannot get a Certificate of Conformity. The combined impact of the French authorities and the official import agents make it very hard work.

Unlike Honda for the S800 and Datsun for the 1.5 lbs where there are people who you can contact in Japan, Mazda have no heritage or interest in people importing cars from Japan.  

Remember you are dealing with a country which until recently rooted all imports of VCrs throught a minute local customs office.

[quote]Has anyone had any experience of either importing a Japanese import from the UK to France, or are aware of any French companies importing from Japan. It is a bit of an obscure question however it seem...[/quote]

Yes, I have. And I failed;

I tried for 18 months to register Irmscher-built Izuzu Trooper Citation SWB, but, becuase it was never imported into Europe the C-of-C simply was not available. I tried the DRIRE route, but I would have had to convert the vehicle back to Trooper SWB spec, which meant changing engine, wheels, tyres, bodywork, lighting .....

Tina's MR2 G-limited is likely to be as big a problem, so I am probably not going to try. The lights are easy to change (just 7" lucas units, from a Mini), so I will get a CT & drive it illegally - sod them.

Although I did meet a chap who owns a garage in dept 50, who told me that he probably could get the MR2 through, as Toyota a quite cooperative.

Many thanks for the sensible and obviously at times painful feedback that you have provided. My first thoughts were to buy a LHD Land Rover 110 Defender but then thought about comfort.

I will forget the Jap import route and opt for my original idea.

Regards,

Mike

[quote]Hi Mike. What about a Nissan? We have an X-Trail 4x4 bought in France. It's comfortable very sturdy and we use it off road. Great car. Mary[/quote]

The X Trails are great (I already have one - though its a company car) and cope with the snow beautifully, however my problem is one of space. I was hoping for 7, 8, or 9 seats but where the seats can take an adult comfortably rather than squeezed in with the legs around the ears.

Regards,

Mike