Motorcycles in France

willmorgan

I am trying to decide whether to buy or rent ( long term ) a motorcycle for the time I spend in the South of France. To enable me to make a decision, can anyone tell me whether a motorcycle ( I am thinking of 650cc ) requires a côntrole technique certificate in the same way that a French Registered car does ?

Motorcycles don't require a Control Technique and, as with cars, there is no road tax. The only essential is insurance, which I think, is a lot cheaper than the UK although I'm out of touch.

No control Technique means that it can be a bit risky buying secondhand unless you really know what you are looking at. Mikes link is a company that does a quality inspection for 45 Euros which would probably be worth insisting upon, if you are buying privately.

To confirm Charles’ correction

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2880.xhtml?&n=Transports&l=N18&n=Automobiles%20et%20deux-roues&l=N529&n=Contr%C3%B4le%20technique&l=N539

relevant info is:

Le contrôle technique n'est pas obligatoire pour:

• les voitures immatriculées dans les services diplomatiques (CD, CMD, C),
  • les voitures de collection,
  • les voitures immatriculées dans les séries FFA (Forces françaises stationnées en Allemagne),
  • les motos.

but I do think the intention has to be to subject beasts, such as my MBK scooter,to a controle technique.

[quote]To confirm Charles’ correction http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2880.xhtml?&n=Transports&l=N18&n=Automobiles%20et%20deux-roues&l=N529&n=Contr%C3%B4le%20techniq...[/quote]

"but I do think the intention has to be to subject beasts, such as my MBK scooter,to a controle technique."

D'you mind saying this again in English Mike

Also I don't want to be an anorak but as of next year voitures de collection will require a CT every 5 years.

Mick that's because there's no such thing as too many bikes. Take a trip down the Boulevard Anglais in Nice you'll see loads there. Brittany and the Auvergne are other big biking areas. On average it costs about the same as in UK.

Mike, fancy a bet?

I agree, the South ( and more specifically the Riviera ) is full of big bikes ( including a Hermes leather finished Harley that I saw last year - avoid the rain showers ! )  The bikers that used to ride down South 10 years ago now seem to trailer their bikes down behind their BMW saloons ( I know that's ageist )

As to cost, secondhand bikes seem to be about the same price as the UK, although my experience is that insurance seems to be a lot more expensive. I insure a French registered 125cc Yamaha Trailway that costs roughly double the yearly premium I pay for a 650cc Aprilia Pegaso Trail in the UK ! 

I see a lot of big bikes around here in the Dordogne, especially a lot of Harleys and other cruisers.

I pay about 300 euros pa to insure my BMW 1150GS 'touts risques' which I don't think you could beat in the UK. With no road tax or CT I would say it is a lot cheaper to run a bike here than the UK, but then I am out of touch.

Will

Put your details into http://www.empruntis.com/assurance-moto/blanc/assurancemoto.php?pagevoulue=accueil&code=SEVU1E and see how it compares. If you are over 25 it does sound like a bit of a rip off. Have you insured it with an " English speaking" agent? That might be an explanation.

Charles

Insurance is a bit cheaper and so is petrol but you use more of it because you have to travel farther to get anywhere, parts can be up to 50% dearer and second hand bike prices are usually dearer too. Generally I'd say it costs the same to run a bike in France as it does in the UK.

Mike

Bet's still on if you're game. There is no way the government could bring in CTs for bikes without scrapping the 100 horsepower limit. The testing stations just wouldn't be able to cope.

Motorbikes do not need a CT at the moment. I read a while ago that the government were thinking about introducing them and all the bikers got together and blocked the roads etc .. how I love the French, at least they get up and stand against things they don't agree on!

I think biking is much cheaper in France, I have a harley, bought new in France and it was about £600 cheaper than in the Uk, my husband rides a Triumph which we imported from the UK and apart from the expense of changing the speedo and headlamps was so easy to register. With regards to insurance my cover is fully comp and includes international and cost about 200 euros for the year, my husband's was about 250 euros ..

I love biking in France, you get so much respect and I love the foot thing when you pass another biker ..

Steph, I'm glad your hubby got an "easy ride" with his immatriculation. I've heard that Triumph are good with the certs of comformity but can you confirm that the bike is post 1996 and sub 100hp as these are the easiest (non classic) ones to do.

At present there is a national power restriction to 100hp so any CT that comes in would have to check for this on a dyno. Not your common or garden back wheel dyno that only costs around 15,000 euros but on proper crank dynos which are only to be found in manufacturers research facilities and places like Cosworth Engineering. Even then the engine has to be taken out the frame and partially stripped down. So CTs just aint gonna happen unless the restriction is lifted. Mind you the government is lifting the geographical restriction on vehicules de collection to fit in with the new national number plate scheme. 

If you buy a new bike. don't use it that much and always get it dealer serviced using genuine parts then France is definately cheaper. If you buy a used bike that's your only transport, run up a big mileage and do all your own work using mainly pattern parts then the cost is about the same as the UK or maybe even a bit more. If you have a lot of old bikes like me then it's a lot cheaper (one of the reasons I'm here).

Motorhead, as a matter of interest hubby is looking for a rolling road/dyno testing place, I saw on your bio your in central france, do u know where theres one ? We're just off jnct 21 of the A20. Hubbys 750 Turbo apparently isn't going fast enough *hmph*

Thanks

Pippa

Has anybody taken their test in France? If so, any tips?

I'm about to do the "plateau" section on Friday - the riding is no problem, but there is so much of the moto code to learn - it would be difficult enough in English!

I'm a big chap and have thought about eventually getting a BMW GS / Varadero / Triumph Tiger - any strong recommendations?

Cheers,

Dean.

Try the mechanique forum on www.emoto.com folk often talk about their dyno tests there or failing that contact a manufacturer like Fuchs and find out where they have been selling their kit.

Never done a test in France but I often see learners out with their weird crashbars and following car - not like in the UK.

Varaderos are big comfy bikes but very very thirsty. If you are going offroad get the GS if not the Tiger is much smoother and faster. An Aprilia Caponord might also be worth a look as it falls between the BMW and the Triumph.

I'm probably biased as I've had several GS models over the years. i now have a R1150GS and an R100GS (which we took overland to South Africa). Off Road on the 1150 would be, in my view, foolish. The newish 1200 GS is really very good if a little 'Japanese'. I've only tested it on road, but it feels light enough for off roading.

Other makes in the same class (adventure touring, I think it is called) are OK. I wouldn't mind trying the Aprillia or Triumph just so that I can say I don't like them, based on fact. BTW, I love riding any bike but owning it and living with it is a different matter.