Commercial vehicles / vans / tax

Steph

Hi, I have started my search to buy a van in France. I'm aware that there is a road tax on vans in France. Does anyone have any information about this, ie. is it on the size of the van, engine size etc. I am looking for a panel van .. renault master, sprinter or transit style so a medium sized one and not a little one.

Don't want to find a bargain and then it turns out it's a bargain 'cos it's in a higher tax bracket. I'm sure some of you builders out their will be able to help!?

Thanks

Be prepared to pay a lot more money than you would in the UK. For a van with low mileage, <5 years old you are looking at 8-9000€, even 10 year plus vans ex EDF or similar with 200,000 KM on the clock are in excess of 3000€.   Have a look on E bay France.

To quote a post today in Finance, "If you are a registered business in France and have four or more company vehicles then you pay a vignette (road tax)"  Other than that there is no tax on a single van. when you register and get your carte grise you pay you pay a scale charge according to CV/HP.

[quote]Be prepared to pay a lot more money than you would in the UK. For a van with low mileage, <5 years old you are looking at 8-9000€, even 10 year plus vans ex EDF or similar with 200,000 KM on the cl...[/quote]

Thanks Ron, have been looking at vans and cars for a while so fully aware of the prices! Have just bought a car on ebay and that's where I'm looking for a van. However, though prices are high for cars I don't think the price for vans is too bad compared to the uk!

So, to confirm are you saying that for a single van there is no equivalent of road tax to pay, just the taxes when you register?

thanks

[quote]In case you didn't know, all large vans of four years and over have to have a contrôle EVERY year for emissions tests as well as the usual two-year CT.[/quote]

Thanks Ron for above...

Thanks Val, I didn't know that ..