On the autoroute at payage with no money

Lori

Anyone know what happens when you reach the caisse and you have no money.  I was on my way to get my daughter from the airport at Marseille.  Waited with hundreds of other cars to pay for my passage.  The owner of the car in front of me apparently did not have any money.  She said something to the lady at the caisse, but the lady, apparently not amused, explained something back to her.  The women in the car waived a credit card around, but she was not in the credit card lane and I suppose with the huge crowds trying to pass through, no one was going to take the time to take her card over and pay her fee.  I don't know what was said, but after about 8 minutes of waiting (seemed like forever), two autoroute employees pointed to the amount she owed and waived her on. 

Does that mean she just went through without having to pay?  French tags from Dept. 84.  Very curious what happens in this situation.  No one appeared to take down her tag number...

?

I've never known a carte bleu not being taken at any of the caisses. I realise that there are card lanes, but everywhere we have travelled  they have always taken our cards at the caisse. Car in front of us the other day gave a cheque.

A friend asked us what would happen and simply I have no idea. We always keep a few coins in the car anyway and I would hope that if we got them all together we'd have enough to pay.