Taking French Registered car back to UK

Lamaggot

[quote]I have a French registered car which usually stays in France but I would like to take it back to the UK sometimes between visits. Does my French insurance cover me in the UK and if so for how long?[/quote]

Any "standard" French insurance policy will cover you to drive anywhere in the EU, without time limit - rather better than being charged £35 (by Direct Line for example) for a "Green Card".

Bear in mind that most French policies cover the CAR, not the driver, so the chances are that the "any driver" cover will work abroad, too.

[quote]I have a French registered car which usually stays in France but I would like to take it back to the UK sometimes between visits. Does my French insurance cover me in the UK and if so for how long?[/quote]

As Nick has mentioned your insurance certificate is your Green Card.  Note that all drivers must sign the certificate before travelling in the UK.

Liz (29)

Something else that may be of interest. The DVLA literature states that "it is an offence for a British subject to continue to use a foreign registered vehicle on British roads" however, they don't actually say when the continuing kicks in.

Sounds like the usual DVLA kidology to me.

Don't worry - the official DVLA web site says "There are International agreements which provide for the temporary use of a vehicle in a foreign country for a limited time, usually 6 months in a 12 month period. A visitor to the UK may use a vehicle displaying foreign plates, provided that all taxes (including vehicle excise duty) are paid in their country of origin."

We currently take one of two French-registered vehicles to Britain something like 18 times per year, usually for about 5 days at a time. If that was illegal we would be truly in the kaka.

Thinks - these 'international agreements' don't seem to apply to British registered vehicles in France - or do they?

[quote]Any "standard" French insurance policy will cover you to drive anywhere in the EU, without time limit - rather better than being charged £35 (by Direct Line for example) for a "Green Card". Bear in m...[/quote]

"Bear in mind that most French policies cover the CAR, not the driver" 

But excluding an any driver policy, don't the car's drivers still have to be named on the policy?  Well at least with AXA, Groupama and Macif i have seen this, just as they would be in the UK.

I'm a bit confused now, are people now saying at that a french green card extends the number of named drivers to those who sign it or does that only apply where an any driver policy is in force?

My Broker (AXA) tells me that the policy applies to the car, not the driver. Any licenced driver is insured to drive the car. I am not aware of the requirement for everyone to sign the policy that Motorhead mentioned.

I don't think that there is a "drive any other car" clause in a French policy, but you would not need it, if the car is insured.

Make sense? I will check again with my Broker (when I remember!).

Will

Thank's for the confirmation? That's exactly when I thought the continuing to use would kick in but the point is they don't clarify it in the leaflet. DVLA are paranoid about folk avoiding the duty by driving foreign reg'd vehicles and use their usual kidology scare tactics to cut it down the numbers.

Nick

That was Liz wot mentioned the signature.

Les

You are spot on. Nobody else want's to drive my old Lada so I go for the cheaper option. My sister hates driving and tries to get everyone to drive her about so she's got the dearer option.