importing motorhome from germany to france...

Blade

A lot depends on the age, make and spec of your vehicle.  Be prepared for the worst and for it being stripped down for inspection

Have a look at http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-lavie/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=5438&printversion=yes

These people'e experiences are similar to friends of ours.  They bought a Fiat Ducatto modified in Germany to three axles and had a nightmare getting it through DRIRE due to problems with lack of certificates, cooking equipment and ventilation.  The original bodymaker was no longer trading and Fiat would not issue a certificate of conformity as the chassis had been modified. their biggest problem was finding out the towing ( no tow bar fitted though), laden and unladen weights etc  All these have to be posted on a sign on the side of the van.  The certificate of conformity took NINE months to achieve and many changes in spec had to be made to the van  (Added Edit) like step lights had to be added, colour of switches and interior lights had to be changed.

Generally, there shouldn't be the need for any modifications between Germany and France, but it does depend on age and make of vehicle. However, if you can get a Certificat de Conformité from the manufacturer, you are halfway home. Things just fall into place with on of those.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1993 Hymer S700 based on a LHD Mercedes Benz 410D chassis, which I originally bought in Germany and imported to the UK.  No problems there, quick MOT and forms off to the DVLA.

Having moved to France, I'm now looking to register it here.  Now the potential problems start!

I've e-mailed Hymer and they're sending me a certificate of conformity, which I understand will cover both the camper bit (hopefully to Norme NF S 56-200 - the french standard which covers gas appliances, ventilation, etc) as well as the base vehicle

It's PTAC (maximum weight) is rated at 4.6 tonnes, so its classified as a poids lourd (HGV) therefore I need to arrange a heavy goods "MOT" test at the local DRIRE/DEKRA.

Once this has been done, I should be able to head for the prefecture and get my carte gris.

I did call at the DRIRE office in Niort to make sure I was doing it right, but they:

1.  Gave me the wrong information sheet (for vans <3500kg)

2.  Booked me in for a single vehicle approval inspection (RTI - reception de titre isole), which I understand is only required for non conforming vehicles such as non-EU vehicles, self builds, etc.

(They also told a friend with a three year old Laika that he first needed a Veritas inspection on the "cellule", then an RTI inspection.  The Veritas inspection cost him 200 euros and when he subsequently presented his Laika CoC to the DRIRE for the RTI inspection, they announced that the Veritas job hadn't actually been necessary, and also that an RTI inspection wasn't even required and he could just go directly to the prefecture.  In fact, the Veritas report was identical to that printed on the CoC!!!)

I just need to find out now which stickers to put on the outside of the van - weight/payload,etc, and whether I need to put on the "speed circles" like the rest of the trucks.  I've also heard that there will be road tax to pay but I believe this is a form of "axle tax" which only applies to vehicles over 12 tonnes.

Watch this space....

Our english friends nearby did this as their son in England imports camping cars for a living and then sells them on. He brought theirs direct from Germany and it had to go through the re-registration process here which incurred a change to the gas fittings for the butane bottles and one or two other little niggles but after six months of battling the DRIRE it was passed for french plating. This is a Fiat camping car.