uk registered car in UK with French insurance

Danglar

I have bought another car and want to keep my first car here in UK for as long as possibile on the road. Then I will travel over to France and leave it there to replace an old banger.

The premium quoted by the french agent is so much cheaper than the temporary cover premium that I wonder whether I can just transfer cover now and use the UK registered car with UK Mot but with the french AGF cover. Would I be in breach of law if I go ahead with this plan ?

I d appreciate to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Danglar

P.S. 3rd party f&t by AGF : euro 19 pm

3rd party f&t by the Uk broker: £ 60pm.

[quote]I have bought another car and want to keep my first car here in UK for as long as possibile on the road. Then I will travel over to France and leave it there to replace an old banger.The premium quote...[/quote]

Nope, as far as I can tell, it is perfectly legal (assuming you have a French address for the insurance). You will not be able to get UK road tax, as the PO won't accept cover from a non-UK company.

Our friends have been given another car by family in the UK and they have a month's cover with their french insurers (they already have a french car) to get the vehicle back here and then to start the change of plate process and this will cover them legally whilst driving the vehicle from the UK to France.

The post office will accept insurance from a french company as my husband has taxed 2 of our vehicles in the uk at least 2 years running. His Post office said they didn't care what insurance it was but they could clearly see the vehicle was insured.

[quote]The post office will accept insurance from a french company as my husband has taxed 2 of our vehicles in the uk at least 2 years running. His Post office said they didn't care what insurance it was b...[/quote]

Not "officially" they won't - I suspect that you are lucky or yr SO has "the gift".

[quote]The post office will accept insurance from a french company as my husband has taxed 2 of our vehicles in the uk at least 2 years running. His Post office said they didn't care what insurance it was b...[/quote]

Assuming that you are resident in France, what is the sense of taxing cars at 200€ a year in the UK that are insured and used in France?

Why not just put them on French plates and save the annual road tax?  Have you asked your French insurer recently if your UK registered cars are REALLY insured in France?  It seems that most of the big companies are finally clamping down on UK registrations and only give limited time for French registration, perhaos your husband's insurance company are waiting for you to have a prang before breaking the news to you that as your cars have been in France for over 6 months, you are not actually  insured  Might be worth a phone call for peace of mind before the icy roads are upon us.

[quote]Assuming that you are resident in France, what is the sense of taxing cars at 200€ a year in the UK that are insured and used in France? Why not just put them on French plates and save the annual ro...[/quote]

Assuming that you are resident in France, what is the sense of taxing cars at 200€ a year in the UK that are insured and used in France? [Crazy]

I'm resident full time in france but my husband works in england for on average more than 6 months a year so the vehicles which happen to be motorbikes are VERY difficult to register in france and Hubby will not sell them, so rather than ride illegally in the uk without tax which many english people that I know do, when he is in england the bikes are taxed, mot'd and insured but my cars have always been bought in the uk (LHD) and registered on french plates within weeks of purchasing and therefore insured in france.

Have you asked your French insurer recently if your UK registered cars are REALLY insured in France?

Well as I'm having problems with a AGF broker at the moment regarding the insurance on my car I doubt it makes much difference if its french or english registered as to their attitude to policy details. BUT I have always advised the broker when hubby will be out of the country (france) working and have had to pay extra premium to cover this but its still cheaper than insuring in the uk and getting green cards all the time to bring them back to france.