Fully Comprehensive??

Bobdude

I was alarmed to read a posting on TF regarding French insurers putting a 'nil' valuation on a previously British registered car that was written off in a collision. Apparently the owners had insured their car 'fully comp' and had been with the company, I think, for 3 years. The insurance company concerned apparently knew their car was right hand drive, but the assessor valued the written off vehicle as 'nil' because it was RHD and in his opinion had no value in France! The vehicle was apparently fully re-registered in France. If true, this should be ringing alarm bells throughout the quite high numbers of us still driving their RHD cars in France! Any thoughts/opinions please?

I had an accident in my RHD French re-registered car 2 years ago, not my fault but still had to accept knock for knock, but that's another story, I was covered for the repairs and that was not cheap, I had to pay half of my excess but no other problems.

We have a fully french registered RHD Honda Civic, now about 9 years old and insured comprehensively with AGF (430 euros/annum) for two years. About 6 months ago it was side swiped by someone emerging from a car park onto the main road. I had wondered whether the low/zero value of a RHD car in France would mean it would be written off, since the repairs came to 2000 euros. However, there was no quibble from the insurance assessor.

John