Documentation required for carte gris

Susan and Stephen

Firstly apologies if this information is already on the forum.

Can anyone give me a definitive list of what is required to re-register our car.

We foolishly believed someone who told us just to take our insurance and controle technique along to the prefecture !

We have a form to send off to Renault for the certificate of conformity, but what is required from L'hotel des Impots ?

I also understand that we need to provide some sort of utility bill, here we have a problem as we are currently renting and the bills are not in our name. The woman at the prefecture seemed to suggest a mobile phone bill would suffice, does anyone know if this is the case? I also think she said we could have a letter from our landlord.

Is there anything else?

Thanks

Hi Susan and Stephen

We have just registered 2 'old bangers' here - a 1996 Citroen Saxo and a 1997 Vauxhall Astra estate - and, for us, it was not difficult just long-winded.

First stop - local (Citroen) garage -as both our cars were old they needed new headlights, about 450 euros total for the 2 cars. They also gave both cars a quick once over and told us about the rules for French tyres*.

*OH's car needed 2 new tyres (on the rear in his case) as you must have 2 matching tyres on each axle and his were not. We kept an odd, nearly new UK tyre as the spare.

Then to Drire with our V5Cs - we showed them the originals and left them the copies. Utility bill and, I think, passports. 7 days later we received by post our 'attestation d'identification d'un vehicule importe conforme a un type communautaire' which meant that we did not need to get certs of conformity from Vauxhall and Citroen as our cars conformed already - hurrah. Cost 67 euros each car. Paid by cheque at time of visit - not cashed until ages later.

Then to 'Conrole Technique' - needed 'Drire' certificate in addition to V5C as the CT bod needed to rationalise UK car details into French CT form.

Then to 'Hotel des Impots' who, when we showed them the V5Cs (plus utility bill and passports) immediately issued us with a 'certificat' saying that no tax was due on either car due to their (advanced) age.

Armed with all this and a utility bill, passports, originals of V5Cs ( make copies for yourselves!!) went to the Prefecture and filled in forms, talked to a very nice lady, paid an horrendous (total) amount to a dragon-lady at the 'caisse' and, voila, had our 2 shiny Carte Grises. Detach purple part of V5C at this point if you have not done so already so you can complete it and send it to Swansea, who promptly lose it.

CGs in hand we then went to French Assurance - had a small problem explaining Vauxhall is the same (!!!) as Opel to a non-English speaking AGF guy, acquired green certicates  - no money changed hands at this point - and then went off to buy and have fixed some new numberplates.

Simple really.

Sue