Getting a 1990 2cv6 onto french Plates

Craig

I recently transferred my van over onto French plates and it turned out to be quite a straightforward excercise. I now want to move forward and transfer my wifes 2cv over. I believe however that due to the vehicles age I will not be able to get a certificate of conformity for it. If this is true then how do I get it registered?

Cheers

Craig

Craig

You're right, you won't get an EU certificate of conformity because of its age, but you should be able to get an attestation of conformity (national type approval) from Citroen France.  Alternatively, contact your local [url=http://www.drire.gouv.fr] DRIRE [/url] office and request an attestation d'identite.  They'll check their database of type approved models (I'm sure yours will be listed [:)] ) and issue you the attestation for 67 euros.

This will do for the prefecture.

Go to Prefecture, with logbook, and they will give you a list of the docs they require.

If one of these is a DRIRE attestation then go to DRIRE for a list of their requirements.

CT will be required by 1 or both bodies when you take/send in everything in due course.

John

not

Craig

You don't need to visit the DRIRE.  Download the DRIRE application form plus english help sheet from the link in my previous post and post it off to them together with a copy of your V5C and a cheque for 67,38 euros payable to "Régisseur des Recettes de la DRIRE".  They'll send you the attestation by return. They don't need to see the CT.

You can also download the vehicle registration application form from [url=http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/rubriques/b/b2_vos_demarches/b22_CERFA/index_html/10672.pdf] HERE [/url].  As you've already registered your van here, you'll know which documents are required by the prefecture.

As SD says, you should be able to get the necessary document from Citroen in France. They will probably need a copy of an official document like a registration certificate or export certificate showing things like the VIN number and date of original registration. We got a certificate from Peugeot for a 1990 205, there was no charge.

SD's words about DRIRE are how it should work, but DRIRE regional offices are, to put it kindly, rather variable. They may make you take the vehicle in for an inspection or make you jump through all sorts of hoops before giving an attestation, when all they really have to do is look it up on their computer. DRIRE at Villedieu-les-Poeles (50) is notorious, others may be as bad. You will probably be OK at your local one, but don't bank on it, so if you can get a type approval certificate from Citroen it could save both hassle and money.

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]

SD's words about DRIRE are how it should work, but DRIRE regional offices are, to put it kindly, rather variable. They may make you take the vehicle in for an inspection or make you jump through all sorts of hoops before giving an attestation, when all they really have to do is look it up on their computer. DRIRE at Villedieu-les-Poeles (50) is notorious, others may be as bad. You will probably be OK at your local one, but don't bank on it, so if you can get a type approval certificate from Citroen it could save both hassle and money.

[/quote]

There is no reason why a DRIRE office should make you take the vehicle in for an inspection.  It's a simple postal request system and if your vehicle has a 17 digit VIN number and its on their database, then they're obliged to issue the attestation in exchange for the fee.  They even ask you to provide them with a stamped self addressed envelope for this purpose.  Physical inspections and hoop jumping are not part of their operating procedure for this particular identification process.

If you do come across a local member of staff who has misinterpreted the legal requirements, then you should refer the matter to the DRIRE management.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Craig

..........................They don't need to see the CT.

[/quote]

This is not necessarily so, I had to provide a CT for Di's Mist Wagen so as per usual national rules are interpreted differently. Also there is no guarantee that the Prefecture will require the same documents for a second re-registration. Remember, this is France.

John

not

John

The process for simple attestations does not require production of a CT certificate to the DRIRE.  Where you do have to provide one is for the single vehicle approval inspections. The requirements are made clear in the individual documentation provided for those processes. However, in your case, the two processes may have been confused due to a misunderstanding on the part of an individual. If one were to ask the DRIRE management to define the requirements, they'd quote the regulations.

The prefecture will want to see the same documentation each time you go to register a vehicle. The requirements are laid down in law and clearly published.  There is no scope for any local variation.

You're right, this is France.  Many people complain that it is a burocracy, and it is - the same as any other country, UK included. A burocracy has clear, laid down rules for the administration of its laws by its fonctionnaires and there is no provision for any interpretation. 

Hi

Firstly thanks for all of the replies

Secondly sorry to have started  debate that is now raging. technically I should as Sunday Driver has stated be able to apply to the DRIRE from a safe distance to get the paperwork I need to register the vehicle in France. This is what I will do and I will see what happens. If I experience any problems then I will worry about and deal with them as and when they occur. I see no point in stressing over something that has yet to happen assuming it happens at all. 

I will then post my experiences here.

I have already registered another vehicle so know what is needed come the day I go to the prefecture for the carte grise.

Thanks again

Craig

Have downloaded the form and filled it in which was reasonably easy only questions I have are with regard to the following "pays de provenance", I assume this means current country of registration and "appellation commerciale" which I am not sure of at all.

Thanks again

Craig

Thanks all, the forms are now on there way to the DRIRE so we shall see what happens. I guess I have been lucky so far since moving to France as I have experienced none of the drama that others on the forum speak of.

Cheers

Craig

It has been my experience that many people on these fora spend a lot of time making mountains out of molehills;mainly because,instead of going to the bank,notaire,DRIRE etc.they will ask on these fora for advice,get plenty of it ,most of which is conflicting.