Renault Express v Citroen C15

moos

Having been the happy owner for some years of a diesel 1987  Renault Express, I'm thinking of looking for a slightly newer van, and while I favour another express,( a newer, about 1994, model with power steering,) several local artisans reckon that the Citroen C15 is better built with a more solid motor. Both seem to have about the same fuel consumption.  Does anyone out there have any experience of either or both.?.    

Can't help on the C15 specifically, but I've previously owned three Citroens and been very impressed with their engines.

Two of them were 2CVs - unburstable air cooled engines but clearly a bit lacking in pace. [;)] 

The third was a BX1.9 turbo diesel and I have to say it was one of the best TDs I've driven.  Fast, very smooth with loads of torque and very good economy. I eventually traded it in for a new Ford Mondeo TD which turned out to be like a three and a half cylinder tractor compared with the beautiful BX.

FWIW in our area the C15 is more popular than the Express - I have the former based on the advice of my farmer neighbour - so there is a greater choice of them in the S/H market. Not sure what this proves, if anything.

John

not

Thanks, Iceni. Funnily enough, down my way, (Gers) there are many more expresses, but as you say, don't know what that proves! Basically, I'm looking for a cheap-to-run-and-maintain small van, and the only real contenders seem to be the express and the C15. If anyone has a better idea, I'd be delighted to hear it.  

I wish I could say that windscreen wipers were the largest part of my maintenance bill!

The PSA diesel engine as fitted to the C15 is a very good engine. High milage ones can suffer from head gasket problems though. Also check the service history, as the cambelt MUST be renewed by 72k miles, (x 1.6 in km), and can be a pricey job. If has not been changed, it could break, and that would end up with an extremely expensive repair, probably costing more than you paid for a circa '94 vehicle.

I have always had Peugeot diesels, but it is the same engine.

I had a C15 they rust under the plastic strip on the bonnet the fuel filler cap always leaks. Mine did 180,000 miles before it got a strange drive shaft problem and intermitantly wouldn't steer.

Brake biais seemed to be on the rear and without a load on slippery roads if you braked hard it would spin.

It's the prices here that amaze me - the last new ones sold in UK a few years ago could be bought for as little as £4,300.

Mine had cost £9,500 8 years earlier and was the higher weight capacity.