car insurance - catch 22?

chessfou

My insurers can only insure within the UK.

My insurers can only send proof of no-claims after cancellation of policy (which therefore means some time after our arrival in France).

That seems to create a Catch 22 of how (sensibly) to get the car insured from the day of arrival in France (current insurers unable to provide any useful clues).

Many of you must have faced this before - how did you solve the problem?

I seem to remember in the dim and distant past that I cancelled my policy BEFORE leaving the UK but getting the actual cancellation date no more than 90 days from leaving which was all they were prepared to cover us for. We then went straight to AGF and got insurance there and then with AGF faxing Eagle Star for proof of no claims record, something I think they are not allowed to refuse to divulge in this particular case. You can get a temporary insurance until the info comes through when the premium will be adjusted accordingly but dig your heels in with the UK lot, sounds like sour grapes. As long as you have adequate insurance somewhere covering you for France then don't worry for the time being but you will be expected to continue to process of completely re-registering your vehicle here and all that entails so if it is an old car,it may not be worth the hassle.

We insured with AXA locally and after we explained the situation, they gave us a temporary cover whilst we waited for the no-claims letter to arrive and after receipt, they worked out the premium and we paid them then.

It's not insurmountable, speak to your local broker, I'm sure that if AXA have this system, other companies will also.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

We insured with AXA locally and after we explained the situation, they gave us a temporary cover whilst we waited for the no-claims letter to arrive and after receipt, they worked out the premium and we paid them then.

It's not insurmountable, speak to your local broker, I'm sure that if AXA have this system, other companies will also.

[/quote]

Exactly the same happened with us with AGF; my no-claims letter from the UK came reasonably speedily after I cancelled my policy but we all had quite a long wait whilst MOH's UK insurance company got themselves sorted out. AGF accepted this situation with aplomb.

Sue

Hi

We showed our local AXA agent the (then) current UK car insurance

documents, which included a bit which said "this policy includes 75% no

claims discount" and she happily gave us full no claims on the French

policy.  Don't know if a) this is normal procedure for French

agents or b) if all UK policies include a statement like this - but

might be worth a try?

Lou

It's quite a long time ago now, but I seem to remember that we hand wrote an 'Attestation' with regards to our NCB. Attestations seem quite commonplace in France, we even did one for our application for chilldbenefit with regards to our income for a particular year.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like a bit of research is necessary

on the French side. No time for that on the next trip, so it goes on

the "to do" list for the following trip at the beginning of March

(still plenty of time before the May requirement).

• 1 month later...

Assume you have resolved this now but if not i have recently found myself in similar situation.

Get stroppy is my advice.   After first refusal from Direct Line to send proof of no claims, I then requested that the obnoxious  individual  transfer me to customer services....   3 minutes later agreement to send letter stating no claims,  which arrived 3 days later...   always worth pushing it a bit!