5 month Van Breakdown Cover?

Pacey & Sadler

Hi,

We are going to France for 5 months and are taking a Mercedes Sprinter van which we would like to have breakdown cover on but cannot find a company to cover it for that long.

Does anybody out there know of a company that does?

As an additional (long shot question), we are taking a small car over to leave out there and wondered if we can get short term breakdown cover for it for the trip out.  I imagine there is no way around this but thought it would be worth asking if there is such a company out there that can help?

Thanks!

Sharon & Marc

Thanks alot for the info.  That's a good price.

What cover did you take out?  I see there are a couple of different levels.  Do you know if they would cover a car that is going to be french registered?

Have you ever needed their assistance and do they speak only german when you call them?

Thanks

We have used ADACplus Partnership.  They insure British and Gibraltar registered cars, and their website allows you to register other countries so no reason that France cannot be included.  The pack they send you inc contact numbers for different countries in case of breakdown.  It is worth confirming their breakdown limits are sufficient for your use.

"As an additional (long shot question), we are taking a small car over to leave out there"

You do realise that this car will need to be kept either UK or French legal.  If it is  to be "left" out here,  them it will need to be exported and registered in France and CT'd  and insured.

Of course not that you would, but you could just join the other hundreds of holiday home owners who leave an untaxed,  SORN'd and often uninsured car here because they think French law does not apply to them and they will not have an accident.  With the Easter break on us seen five untaxed UK registered wrecks so far, and one I know to be SORN'd in the local garage smashed up,  I wonder how they are going to explain that one to the DVLA.

Ron,

You have exactly stated how I feel about folks that flout the law in general - not just cars but working on the black etc.  It gives all Brits, including those that pay taxes and register their vehicles, a bad name.  I offered the advice in the hope that car will be registered - naturally all breakdown cover includes the caveat that the car is legally on the road.