4 x 4 LHD

Kateloustear

We are looking to change our LHD citroen xsara picasso for a LHD 4 x 4. Has anybody gone the route of buying a LHD from the UK and bringing it over? There are a number of UK companies who import cars from Europe and then sell them from the UK. We have found secondhand cars in France very expensive so we thought we might get a better deal this way. By the way, anybody know of a LHD 4 x 4 up for grabs, let us know!!

Kate and Craig

There are often lhd cars on www.Ebay.co.uk (and French site too) and its best to enter left hand drive (in full) and lhd and l h d (with spaces) so that you get the full lists, at the moment there is a lhd Mercedes Gwagen (note spelling) on www.fish4cars.com which you may know is the ultimate off roader (much superior to landrover) but at a price, its 8k for a 1989 so unless you intend to do a lot of off road probably a bit OTT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Kate,

The following website might be of use to you. I have no affiliation to it. I saw their ad sometime ago in Living France or FPN. www.car-dealers.tv They sell or source new and used cars. My father-in-law had bought a new Hyundai Tuscon in the UK for around £18000. The same specification from them was around £5000 pounds less. They are English speaking. I recently used ebay to purchase a lhd French registered car. Just a cheap runaround for now, but miles cheaper than buying a similar secondhand car in France.

Regards

Paul

[quote user="Washy"]Buy a european specification 4 X 4 to make changing number plaes easier. We are told we will have problems with our LHD Range Rover as it is North American specifications.[/quote]

Washy, granted our car wasn't a 4 x4, but it is an American car. The total changes we needed to make came to a grand total of 200€ and was relatively pain free. It's a Toyota, and most of the important bits were EU approved anyway, which may just be because it was a Japanese brand and they do things that way...

PG

Washy's post was made two years ago - there was subsequently quite a saga which I think was eventually sorted out, but makes good reading for anybody considering importing a slightly unusual vehicle into France. It should be possible to find it using the search button.

I'm not saying it's not possible to import a LHD vehicle into France from Britain. We did so. Just make absolutely sure that it is to French specification and not a Japanese 'grey' import or other model originally sold outside Europe. In that case various parts will not carry the European approvals mark and there could be all sorts of complications. Some British sellers of LHD vehicles, those who mostly offer ex-lease vehicles from Belgium or similar, will handle French registration and import for you.