Laguna v. Xantia

thunderhorse

There doesn't seem to be a suitable forum for this, so excuse me. Or the mods can move it... [:P]

I need a second-hand motor, cheap, comfortable, roomy, diesel, and am actively looking at the above 4 - 6 years old. I'd appreciate any comments on reliability, costs of spares, gizzits etc. Not doing many miles/year, performance/economy isn't a desperate issue.

May even consider a 406.

If anyone knows of a reliable garage in southern 79 (Deux-Sevres), that would be useful, too.

Cheers.

In my opinion, Citroen in the last decade have outshone Renault on their diesel engines and general reliability, that is based on years in the trade working on these vehicles, however the Xantia is getting  on a bit now, I would try and find a younger model 406 diesel.

Had TWO Xantias, unreliable, expensive to buy parts for, expensive to work on, (especially suspension), poor design, (front foglight bulb replacement needs bumper off, £100 +VAT)., and not that comfortable to drive on a long journey, the seat squabs seem to be short, and I'm not that tall, myself!

Ours is also lethally expensive on insurance, it's a 2.0HDi, and is in GROUP 13 !!!

A similarly engined 307, or even 206, comes in at group 7 at the most.

Avoid like the plague.

Alcazar

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]...2 litre diesel what?[/quote]

That was the whole point. I looked at loads of road/test reports, and Googled owners clubs etc. If you had a good motor, they were highly recommended, if not, it was poo-pooed (naturally). And there was little feedback here, so no consensus of opinion.

So after test driving Lagunas, Xantias and 406s, and finding four friends with the same make and who have been continuously pleased over several years, I opted for a ... 2001 (5 years old tomorrow) 2.0 HDI Xantia Plaisir - 91k km, one owner, roomy, reasonably quick, superlative ride, towbar and electrics, hatchback, 6 month g'tee (PMO), and as close to mint as I could judge.

Hope I'm going to be a happy bunny.

And thanks for the feedback, you guys.

I hope you will be happy with your Xantia Thunderhorse...

We've had several Citroëns over the years, Traction, DS break and berline, CX break.  In october 2002 when we had an accident with a stag we lost our beloved ZX Furio (and it is probably thanks to the fantastic way that car handled and the roadholding that we were unhurt; when the gendarmes walked round the car with their torches in the dark with me still sitting in it with the dogs as there was a window missing, they were saying to each other "the people were very lucky by the state of the car").

So we had to find a replacement and bought a newish second hand Xantia.  My husband just drove 900 kms again in it this weekend and we were only saying last night what a wonderful car it is.  It has been up and down and up and down to the Perche so many times full of stuff and dogs while we were moving and it still goes like a bomb.  It's a real pleasure to drive and we love it.  It's not a diesel though.

We also bought about three years ago a beautiful XM in wonderful condition.  That is a crème...   [kiss]

Well, Christine, that is reassuring to hear. Many thanks for the input. Seems like quite a few in Deux-Sèvres are hooked on Xantias... or when I first heard the local garage pronounce the name, it was Zontia. [:D]

Alcazar, you beat me to it. I suppose you want me to live in misery expecting any day that it will blow up in my face.[:P] How come it took you two Xantias to realise your mistake?

Time will tell - but isn't that the nature of cars? [;-)]

Finally, ours wasn't as newish as I thought when we bought it, though it was very clean and had I think only one owner (a woman!).  It had about the same amount of kilometres as yours has now.  Jean-Pierre says it now has 182,000.  It's probably a 1997 or 1998, older than I thought, but can't tell you exactly as he's fled off in it again!

I also forgot in the list, our BX break.  Bonne Chance !

I had a BX TZD Turbo Est for 12 years followed by a Xantia 2.0 HDI Est for 3 years and when we moved over here we bought a C8 and the only thing I have against any of them is that the C8 doesn't have the same hydro-phuematic suspention as the others. Wonderful cars all. The BX did over 180.000 miles in the 12 years, the Xantia towed our caravan all over the place, including North and West France and the only suspention problem I had with any of them was when a steel return pipe chafed through. The Xantia was comfortable to drive for long distances even though I have bad lower back problems following an accident. Frances, my OH, also had a Citroen, a red & white 2CV Dolly, for 17 years. A fantastic car and we both nearly cried when we sold it prior to moving over... We had a bucket load of fun in that little car. I wanted to put the GS 1200cc engine in it but hge wouldn't let me[+o(]?

I personally would have another Xantia if we didn't want the space that the C8 gives us. Incidently I bought it from a dealer in Holland because we couldn't buy one here until we had a French address, the U.K. LHD prices were a complete rip off and trying to sell my Xantia here to an English guy living and dealing with RHD kit offered me less € than I got £ by selling it in the U.K. He offered me about 1/2 of what I got for it, nice little earner for him pert etra?

John.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I personally would have another Xantia if we didn't want the space that the C8 gives us. Incidently I bought it from a dealer in Holland because we couldn't buy one here until we had a French address, the U.K. LHD prices were a complete rip off and trying to sell my Xantia here to an English guy living and dealing with RHD kit offered me less € than I got £ by selling it in the U.K. He offered me about 1/2 of what I got for it, nice little earner for him pert etra?

John.

[/quote]

John,

There certainly would appear to be a few sharks in the LHD/RHD cross channel stakes.  Belgium (for new) and Germany for quality secondhand marques seem to be the biz.   Our Renault Scenic 1.9 Dti was bought 7 1/2 yrs ago, at 6 months old, with 10 000 km for £10K.  It has been registered in UK (twice), France, Gibraltar and now back to France with 110 000 km.  Our local Renault garage comments that it is fine.  Costs include 2 new electric winders for front windows, tyres and servicing - still on its original exhaust!

regards

Vern   

I bought a brand new Xantia 1.9Lx Diesel - good car, great ride, everything perfect - but I could not get used to the seats - almost at the point of being unable to walk through back pain I sold it after 6 months.

If you like the seats it is a very good car and with depreciation they are great second hand buys.

[quote user="Leslauriers"]... but I could not get used to the seats - almost at the point of being unable to walk through back pain I sold it after 6 months... [/quote]

The one I'm picking up has fully adjustable lumbar support. Is this a feautre only of the more recent Xantias? Plus the whole seat jacks up and down, tilts, and reclines. Hopefully at 6'2" I'll get a comfy position...[:)]