Boundry markers - adjoining land

I have a house with a plot of land to one side. Both my house and the plot of land were at one time all part of the same plot which was subsequently split for sale. Though I am comfortable with the boundary, and have all the correct documentation I have spotted two markers at each side of the plot approximately 1 metre into the adjoining land running parallel to the existing hedge.

The markers are approx 3 inches square in a white stone with a circular metal plate on top. I am waiting to download the pictures but thought it wise to ask whether anyone had seen similar markers and whether they represent the actual boundary.

In addition to the markers there is a plastic stake with a yellow circle on top.

My thoughts are that they are either datum points that confirm the boundary from when the land was split (just over a year ago), or that they may mark the path of an underground drain or pipe. Though for the latter I have checked across the boundary following the line and there are no similar markers in the adjoining property.

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

The yellow circle marker is likely to have been placed there by the geometre when the land was split. The other markers you describe could, as you say, be older datum points.

It seems to be normal practice in France that hedges are not planted on the actual boundary line, but 1 metre from the line. That would seem to be consistent with what you say about your boundary.

The stone/ concrete markers are called "Bornes" and represent the boundary of the land, i am sure that you could build a wall or put a fence on the boundary line but for an Hedge it has to be at least 1 metre in from the boundary, so you can maintain both sides of the hedge without encroaching on your neighbours property. 

Our notaire told us that we could put a fence on the border line if it was being jointly erected with our neighbours, and if we were doing it alone (as it were) then literally just inside the boundary was fine. I have read about the hedge being placed 50cm to 1m inside your boundary but our notaire didn't mention this as we're going for a fence initially.

We have the disc markers described and these were put up when the land was split during our purchasing process.

Ewa

Hi

The sguare metal blocks with a central dot are the actual boundary. I had to attend a "bornage" and watched them hammer the markers into the ground.

We've just had to research this. We had a field next door that has now been sold and sprouted a house looking into our garden.

In our commune (and this may differ !) we can have hedges 1m from the boundary, but they have a height limit of 2m20.  We can have a wall on our side of the boundary, but only up to the same 2m20. We can have a hedge (or anything else) as high as we like if it is 2m from the boundary. Luckily, we had enough space to plant a small forest 2m20 from the boundary !

Peter

[quote]Hi The sguare metal blocks with a central dot are the actual boundary. I had to attend a "bornage" and watched them hammer the markers into the ground. We've just had to research this. We had a fiel...[/quote]

Yes, I too have these yellow topped markers placed by the land surveyor  and I have today bought my new hedge of Eliagnus which I will plant tomorrow one metre in from this. Himself won't be helping as tonight the thermocouple has gone on our boiler and he will have to comb the area for a replacement as visitors are also arriving tomorrow!